inline code inside a Jira issue description

Boian Petkantchin July 3, 2019

How can I put code segment in the same line as normal text in the description of a Jira issue? I can do it only in comments.

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2020

Hi everyone,

I found this thread and realized that the references here are to the new editor that is use in next-gen projects in Jira Cloud (and potentially in other classic projects with the Jira labs new issue view enabled).   For Jira server or Jira Cloud using classic projects, the editor in use for both descriptions and comments is the same and won't allow this in-line code formatting on the same line.

That said, these next-gen projects are using this new Rich text editor right now only for comments.  There is a request to implement this for description fields as well which would correct this over in JRACLOUD-74267.  Right now there is not a means to do this within Jira Cloud today. 

I would recommend watching that issue for updates and voting on this as it can help our teams better prioritize new features and fixes.

Cheers,

Andy

1 vote
Rochelle_Smits-Seemann November 13, 2019

I also have this question. Comments allow for inline text using tick-marks, but tick marks don't create inline code in the description field. 

Jira - be consistent!!!

1 vote
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

doesnt wiki formatting help? like this

{code:groovy}
def test = "test"
{code}

edit: make sure you are using proper renderer and its enabled (i believe it should be similar for cloud and server):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/wiki-markup-does-not-work-in-text-or-comment-field-314450240.html

Boian Petkantchin July 4, 2019

I meant as in the same line.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer