import through csv linked tickets are duplicating on tickets

Kevin Harris January 23, 2020

we are migrating from unfuddle. I have generated csv files for each project. when i do the import the linked issues on each ticket is duplicating. So if on our previous system there were 10 linked issues, once I import to Jira we will have 20.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hello @kharris

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, it seems that all issues with a specific link get duplicated in your projects. Is that correct?

This is not a common behavior in Jira import, so we will need more information to further troubleshoot it:

1 - Can you provide us with 3 issues that get duplicated when imported to Jira in the exact format and fields they are displaying in the CSV file? Basically, copy and paste the 3 issues from your CSV file and paste it as a comment in this question, replacing the sensitive information by "XXXX".

2 - Can you also provide us with 3 issues where the duplicate is not occurring?

3 - Can you confirm if any issues with the same issue keys are already created in your instance?

4 - Confirm that the links of the issues are following the formats mentioned in this documentation:

Summary,Issue Id,Link One,Link One,Link Two
House  ,      1,      2,      3,      2
Patio  ,      2,        ,        ,
Garden ,      3,  TEST-1,        ,

The file above would create three issues with correctly created issue links:

• Issue 'House' will have three links:
    • Two links of type "Link One" to issue 'Patio' and 'Garden'
    • One link of type "Link Two" to issue 'Patio'
  • Issue 'Garden' will be linked to issue with key 'TEST-1'

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kevin Harris January 24, 2020

I figured it out. In the system we are importing from it included both relationship values the ticket to and from so I was including both in my import which made Jira show inbound and outbound. I reduce my import to include only one of the relationships and now the import looks right. thanks for the response. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

You are welcome, @kharris

I'm glad to know you were able to figure out what was causing the issue.

Have a nice week ahead and let us know in case you have any other questions about the CSV import functionality. 

Suggest an answer