import issues to multiple projects

Jason White May 5, 2016

Hi,

I am trying to import issues from CSV to multiple projects in one go.  I have a project key and project name defined and the project are set up already.

First time I tried it, I got a tick box saying "project defined in CSV" or similar. I had to exit tis to make a change to the CSV file and now I don't see the tick box any more - I can only select a single project from the drop down.  I even tried the old CSV file but it still won't give me that option. 

I'm a novice user, still in the trial period, so I'm sure I've made a stupid mistake - any ideas?

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Hey Jason!

That's definitely a weird issue...  That radio button should always show when attempting an external system import.  Have you tried the basic stuff?  Log out, log back in, etc.?

Also, just to check, you've created all the defined projects already?  

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different CSV?  One with only a small amount of data?

Thanks!

Jason White May 5, 2016

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yep, tried logging out, tried on 3 machines - Citrix PC, Mac Book and Win10 PC, all running different browsers and different O/S.

Nothing changed from the time I did the import and saw the radio button and all the time since.  The projects are all there, visible in the project drop down, just no button!

I have since split it into CSVs for the 15 projects, all import fine, some have only 1 issue and maybe 5 sub tasks.

At least I'm not missing something obvious.  Good to know I'm not being dumb, but doesn't help me.

I'll raise this as a bug and see if I can get an answer.

Thanks,

Jason

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2016

Nah, you're doing fine!  Still very odd...Let me do a little bit of research and I'll let you know!

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2016

Actually, a screenshot would be really helpful too, if you can manage it!

Jason White May 6, 2016

Hi,  

I found the problem - I was using the issue menu to import the issues, not the project menu to import an external project.  

I thought the same logic would apply to both as they effectively do the same thing.

But thanks for the input, it made go hunting for the solution!

Cheers,

Jason

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2016

Oh!  Well that would be why!  

And just for your information, performing a project import, (System -> Import & Export -> Project Import), is far more complex than creating a CSV and importing issues into an already existing project, (using the External Import tool).

Importing a project requires an XML file, and will attempt to create workflows, statuses, fields, etc. during the import.  These are often fraught with danger and I try to avoid them at all costs.  They can cause pretty severe issues if done incorrectly. 

Suggest an answer