i can see an issue in the front end application, but i cannot find the same issue in the DB.

Sajid Moughal April 11, 2023

not sure what is happening.

but i can search for an issue in the search page, and it displays in the list.

however, if i click on the link for the issue, i get a screen suggesting that i dont have access to it.

what is odd, is that when i do a DB search on the JIraIssue table, i cannot find that issue in there...

so i am a bit confused on why the initial search can find that issue???

what can i do to solve this issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Jared Kells April 12, 2023

The search results come from a lucene and not from the database so it's technically possible for them to be out of sync, which could explain why you can't find the issue in the database.

You might need to re-index the issues and they will then disappear from the search results.

Just a guess though :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

If re-indexing works here, then you need to take a long hard look at what you have set up that is corrupting your index.

Like Jared Kells likes this
Jared Kells April 12, 2023

😀 for sure, keen to hear back now!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Same here!  

There is a long boring essay possible about how it works, but it is not too hard to summarise.

You said, "Search results come from the Lucene index", which covers most of the essay really well.

The bit I wanted to add was a note about when Jira does read the database.  It does it for

• Issue view (not as part of a search/report/gadget/board/queue, just the plain "look at the whole of an issue")
  • Re-indexing
  • Most permission checks
  • Admin screens

It's a "source of truth" thing.

There are a few other bits, mostly because it's quicker and easier to ask the database for data directly rather than write a huge amount of code for a really simple abstraction that is rarely if ever, used.

The other thing was "try just a project re-index", or even just edit an issue that you think should be appearing in the search - editing an issue triggers a rebuild of all the index data for it, so if it is an index problem, that should fix it.  (Amend a system field to be 100% sure it triggers re-indexing.  I usually add or remove some punctuation from the summary or description; "Mr Flibble rocks." to "Mr Flibble rocks!" will re-index the whole issue)

Like Jared Kells likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I strongly recommend that you stop looking in the database.  Its complex, has evolved as a data store, and is totally unsuitable for any form of reporting, because it's rare that people trying to report on it understand it (and there's a very steep learning curve).

Go to the project administrator and ask them why you don't have permission to see it.

Suggest an answer