how to visualise progress on Child issues of Epics in Timeline of a plan?

Vasiliy Ganchev May 6, 2024

Hi Community

I keep exploring Plans and Goals, and another pretty logical piece seems to be missing.

In the list view of Timeline, I can see the status of an Epic alongside its Start and end dates, but I would be super happy to see the progress bar for Child issues.

Progress in days is kind of useless for us, as we don't use estimates, and I want to focus on work done first not in days (for days Start date and Due date are perfect)

So far, I haven't found a way to achieve this.

picture 1: where I would like to see the progress bar

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.40.37.png

Picture 2, the progress bar that I am missing

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 09.42.24.png

I would appreciate any hints, as overall, the Goals and Plans look very promising, but these "little missing things" are killing all the positive effects (especially because we will need to switch to Premium, which will require a budget, and it is hard to get when we have such apparent things missing)

2 answers

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Vasiliy Ganchev 

Welcome to the community !!

If you would be interested in an add-on for this need, you can try out our plugin.

Issue Hierarchy 

The app shows your issue hierarchy in a tree view and the ability to add all your jira columns in the report, plus you will be add the app as a dashboard gadget too.

The screenshot below is the issue view screen which is another feature the app provides.

The app has multiple other features which are very useful in project tracking and management.

(Disclaimer: I work on RVS, the vendor for this app)

Epic Hierarchy_Issue Screen Cloud.PNG

Vasiliy Ganchev May 7, 2024

hi @Amay Purohit_RVS 

thanks for sharing, will give it a try and let you know whether it is solving the core problem

Like Amay Purohit_RVS likes this
Vasiliy Ganchev May 17, 2024

I have played with it, and it looks interesting, but I would like to get this in Plans.

Otherwise - I loose all the good things of that part of Jira world

As a result - for now - I disable the plugin, and keep digging to find better solution

0 votes
Becky Brooks - Visor for Jira
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

Hi @Vasiliy Ganchev ,

Are you the child issues on the sub-task level? Timeline doesn't visualize those. You have to upgrade to Advanced Roadmaps for that. Alternatively, you can use apps in the Marketplace to make roadmaps. 

(Full disclosure, I work at Visor and we are one such app. Free to use: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226209/visor-spreadsheet-gantt-chart-for-jira-with-excel-export?tab=overview)

I'm curious though if you're looking to visualize tasks or sub-tasks. If the former, you should be able to do that.

-- Becky @ Visor 

Vasiliy Ganchev May 7, 2024

hi Becky,

Thanks for looking at my post and sharing your advice!

The child issues that I am talking about are not on the sub-task level. 

Regarding Advanced Roadmaps - actually, I am already on it (the first screenshot).

I will give a try to the app you shared and get back with a feedback

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events