It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

how to set timeout for jira user session?

I am trying to configure so that user session expire every 30 minutes but i cant seem find the property for it. And it's def not in general nor advance configuration.

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I'm afraid, there is no way to configure the session timeout in JIRA via administration or a command line option. You have to edit the bundlet web.xml file:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+the+default+session+timeout

The default session timeout seems to be 30 minutes. Then you would not have to do anything. Maybe you want to deactivate the "remember my login" option, too?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Disabling+Remember+My+Login+on+this+Computer

we are interested in changing the timeout, NOT THE default timeout.
JUST the timeout value?
Where can we go in JIRA to do that? (NOT confluence, in jira o nly).

Thank you.

Additionally, if your JIRA authenticates to Crowd, there is a session timeout control in Crowd in the Admin tab, click Session Config. There's a field Session Timeout to enter the Crowd timeout as well which would affect users logged in to JIRA.

Thanks for taking the time to add this little bit of intel Adam - exactly what I was looking for.

A quick tip.

If any of the installations are data center editions and on AWS, I suggest to update the following:

Update timeout in the following three places and make sure timeout number matches in all 3

1. /conf/web.xml
2. /WEB-INF/web.xml
3. Sticky session on ALB Target group(if you are using AWS infra)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you