how to search and download documents in Jira

Manoj September 9, 2022

We have over 4200 stories created over last 2 years in Jira. Now we need to search and download all latest version of word documents out of them. There are 700 word docs with their unique name. So the algorithm would be like searching those 700 documents one by one and finding out what is the last story they were attached to (to find out the latest version) and then downloading that. Repeat the same for remaining documents. 

We access Jira in on-premise server. 

Please advise how could I do it better in an automated way if any.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

You should do this via scripting. If you're searching for word document files, do you need to read the content of the word document or just search for it as an attachment on the issues if it exists, then download it?

Manoj September 12, 2022

Hi, No, I do not need to read the content of word document. Only search the attachment, if a particular name of the word doc exist.

Looking for suggestions on what script/api I need to use. 

Thanks

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

I will suggest you start with the API documentation for an issue. You can script it however you prefer. Also, you can look into this article I wrote a while back here. It allows you to get an extract of attachments on your instance in a CSV file format. That will give you a report of all attachments within your instance, then you can continue with a script that will read the report file and download only doc file extension.

Suggest an answer