how to remove signature with image.

Igor M June 30, 2012

Good day,

I use Jira as Helpdesk system and I don't know how to remove customer's signature with immage.

is it possible to remove signature with image or not?

2 answers

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

This needs to be approached in two ways, yes the links above will help to remove the trailing signature text, but as the image is HTML encoded (possibly externally), most mail handlers will just extract and add the image.

JEMH does the extra bit you need and allows specifically named files to be ignored, so if you're logo is called 'logo.png' in the page, you could blacklist that from being attached.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2012

I was just typing a suggestion to take a look at JEMH :-)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

c'mon people JIRA email problems = JEMH solution :)

Igor M July 2, 2012

JEMH looks good but I don't think that it necessary for me. Could you give me more details how to remove logo without JEMH? What I need to do?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2012

No, because you can't. If you dont want to use JEMH, thats fine, lookup the API docs, write a mailhandler of your own!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2012

<grin> It's a good point - Andy has invested a lot of effort in JEMH and it's well worth it if you want to do anything in the slightest bit clever with email in Jira.

If you don't want to invest in it, then you will need to write your own handler, and I wouldn't expect Andy to help you.

Jim Davison January 12, 2015

It's good to present a plugin as an easy solution, but this doesn't quite work as an answer asked about JIRA itself. It would be less confusing, and more complete, to provide an answer such as, "JIRA does not provide this capability itself. A marketplace plugin such as JEMH will do this, with the alternative of writing your own mail handler using the JIRA API." The partial answer implied a method, minimally outlined, requiring the OP to ask a followup. The OP is unlikely to know that username "Andy Brook" is the creator of JEMH, and so was pointing to his product as a convenient read-made solution, not offering technical details towards a DIY approach. If amended as suggested, answering with a paid fix may still result in the question going unseen by someone who could offer more technical details on using the API for this purpose. It would be nice if the community would adopt a convention whereby such responsed were instead submitted as comments on the question, leaving "answers" for addressing the question in a JIRA-native/vanilla fashion, at least when context calls for it. I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but I have come upon a wide variety of answers like this that, while somewhat helpful, ultimately obscured the issue and potential solutions.

Like # people like this
Joe G September 8, 2017

Pricing model for JEMH is absurd. 

Like # people like this
Gus Gilchrist June 18, 2020

Atlassian needs to fix this - it's a fundamental problem and it's terribly wasteful space wise. 

Ramya Balasubramani February 3, 2021

Andy, we use JEMH for our jira server. Can you suggest how to remove the unnecessary content in a comment when someone replies to the jira ticket. 

Mike Harrison _The Plugin People_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2021

Ramya, if you are using JEMH v. 2.7.3 or newer you are probably going to want to use a body delimiter with a regular expression matching the start of signature you want to remove. More information can be found here: https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/x/CQCcGg

Ramya Balasubramani February 10, 2021

@mik Thank you! let me try that.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2012

What do you mean?

What customer signature? Or, even, what's a customer? What signature are you seeing? Where is it happening and where is it coming from?

Igor M June 30, 2012

Goal: I need to create and comment issues using email (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email)

Result:I can create /comment issue from email (its ok)

Problem:I don’t know how to strip signature with logo (see attach) from email

I found a few information here, but I can’t remove logo/image

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Strip+the+Old+Reply+Data+from+Email+When+Using+Outlook

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2012

The issue you have is that HTML email is being sent, that contains attached images. The thread above already describes one solution to this problem. I dont know of others, if you don't want to buy a plugin to fix this, pehaps its something you can live with?

Suggest an answer