how to remove flag when issue is not on board

Heath Trost February 6, 2015

I am researching the "Flag" feature in Jira... it appears you can only add and remove it when the issue is on the Scrum or KanBan board.

I have noticed I have some old issues that have items flagged that are closed and old... how can I remove the flag now that they do not show up on the agile boards.

any ideas?

3 answers

1 vote
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2015

The flag field is actually just a checkbox field that has some special behaviors in JIRA Agile.  If you add the Flagged field to an edit screen, you will be able to set it and unset it just like you would on an agile board.  The only checkbox available for the Flagged field has the value 'Impediment'.  A "flagged" issue has this box checked, and an "unflagged" issue has this box unchecked.  So to unset the flag, you would simply uncheck the box.  If you don't want to add the Flagged field to the edit screen, you may be able to access it through the bulk edit operation, which in most configurations will have fields available for edit that do not appear on the edit screen.

Depending on how your workflows are set up, you may run into problems editing closed issues.  If the jira.issue.editable property is set to false for your closed status, then you will not be able to edit those issues unless you reopen them or edit the workflow to remove that property.

0 votes
Shehzeed Ahmed August 24, 2018

Here's my hack - 

1. Create a filter to list all the Impediments that are in DONE Status with- 'Flagged in (Impediment)'

2. Create a temporary board and use the above filter as the Board Query. If you now click on the board, it will still be empty.

3. Go to Board Configuration > Columns > and them move the DONE to the To-Do Column. This will show the Done tasks which are also flagged in the Board now.

4. Right-click on the Impediments and Remove Flag!

0 votes
Heath Trost February 9, 2015

Thanks Mikey, doing the Bulk Edit worked... I didn't think to try that... duh.

Now I just need to show this on the screens... and then add a "Flag Reason" to all screens to capture why items are flagged.

Suggest an answer