how to "watch" a project?

ardian.krivca December 3, 2021

I know I can "watch" tickets but is there a way to always get notified of when tickets get added/updated in a project?

I have a project with tons of tickets and I would like to know when things happen in the entire project

4 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

You can do this by automation to send you an email whenever an issue in the project is created.

To do this, do the following:

Access the project settings and click on "Automation";

Create a new very simple automation, like this:

Notify when created.PNG

The {{issue.summary}} values will bring up the issue summary;
{{issue.key}} will bring up the issue key
And {{issue.url}} will bring the direct link to access the issue.

This is the result in your email:e-mail box notify.PNG

I hope this helps

ardian.krivca December 3, 2021

Thank you for your help, I didnt even know this option existed.

Question for you, after I turned on automation, I noticed global and project rules just showed up. Should I turn this off? I dont want any new additional rules to be place. I dont want to break anything, the only rule I want enabled is the one I create,  not sure where these others came from or maybe they are standard?

Capture.JPG

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

This could have happened if you were on the homepage and created some custom settings automatically.

You can check who created these automations by clicking on each one of them and looking at "Details", it will give you options of who created them and when. So you can tell if this was something someone on your team created or you ended up creating it by mistake by clicking on some automation template.

If you or Jira automation itself are "Owner" and the creation corresponds to the same date you created your automation, then I believe that you disable them and this will have no impact.

ardian.krivca December 6, 2021

one more question for you, can anyone see my automation rules or can I only see them applied to the project?

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Hi @ardian.krivca 

Anyone with Jira or Project admin access can see your automation rules.

You can go to "Details" of your automation rule and add a description, indicating that it won't be changed for any reason.

Maybe this helps the team not to make changes to it.

10 votes
Alex
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

Hi @ardian.krivca 

There is no feature to watcher all issues of a project in Jira. But to meet this requirement you can leverage Automation:

• Creating a project automation rule like this (recommended):
    • When an issue is created 
    • Then that adds your user as a watcher

I hope it helps. If this answer helps solve the problem, please come back and mark this answer as solved to help other community members with the same challenge. If not, you are welcome to share your solution as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Kharthigeyan Satyamurthy January 27, 2022

I like your answer.

You don't need to craft an HTML if you just include yourself as a watcher.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2021

You don't need automation. Create a project role called Watching and have the notification scheme send notifications for everything you want to that project role. then you can easily add/delete users from the roles as needed. 

ardian.krivca February 1, 2022

if i create this project, will everyone see it or will I only see it?

0 votes
Jordan Parmer June 13, 2022

You can use automation to manage watchers when an issue is created.

Issue Created => Manage Watchers => Add/Remove watchers to the issue

The benefit to this approach is that notifications will follow each watchers configuration  (e.g., Slack, mobile, email, etc.).

Suggest an answer