how to make default assignee equal the reporter

Robert Matthews January 2, 2012

One of my teams need to automatically assign incoming issues to the reporter of that issue. Does Jira 4.3.4 support this configuration for a single project?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2012

I think that would be pretty straightforward. Create a workflow with a post-function that sets assignee to reporter on issue creation, then assign the workflow to the project.

Robert Matthews January 2, 2012

Thank you. As it is sometimes, you can get too close to the trees to see the forest.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2012

Additionally, I would remove the assignee from the create screen, to avoid confusing users.

Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2012

Certainly, one could create permissions such that a user has Create but not Assign permission (e.g. as in helpdesk use). Then, the Assignee would be hidden from the create screen for these users. it all depends on the use case.

Jeetesh October 20, 2018

Thanks Neal,

It works for me.

Jay May 5, 2021

Thanks @Neal Applebaum you are a legend - obvious but sometimes need to be told :-D 

0 votes
Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2012

I want to restrict a number custom field value to 5 digits

and i want taht only for a Number field and that will not affect to whole Jira number custom filesds .

How can i achieve this please let me know??

Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2012

Please create a new comment thread for your question. Again, you may need Javascript. Also, search the forum for similar posts.

Cheers

0 votes
Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2012

Sorry, I can't help you write Javascript for that.

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2012

Ok Neal,

I Have one more issue.

I want to restrict a number custom field value to 5 digits

and i want taht only for a Number field that will not affect to whole Jira.

How can i achieve this please let me know??

0 votes
Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2012

See above. If you mean you want the assignee to SHOW on the create screen and default from the Reporter, I don't know if that could be done. Maybe via Javascript.

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2012

Thanks for your quick responce Neal Applebaum

, you are right we can achieve that by Java Script but where can i find that code.

Please arrange the code for me.

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2012

Thanks for your quick responce Neal Applebaum

, you are right we can achieve that by Java Script but where can i find that code.

Please arrange the code for me.

0 votes
Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2012

i Want The value of assignee should automatically come in the create screen of the isasue and will be equal to Reporter.

How we can achieve this please help its urgent.

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2012

i Want The value of assignee should automatically come in the create screen of the isasue and will be equal to Reporter.

How we can achieve this please help its urgent??

0 votes
Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2012

That sounds pretty straightforward. Create a workflow (or copy the one currently being used by that project) that has a post function on the create issue transition to set assignee to reporter. I'm using version 3.13, and even in that version there's an option "Assign to Reporter - Assigns the issue to the reporter".

Suggest an answer