how to link an existing branch/pull request to a jira issue

Ionut Vicovan November 27, 2015

How can I link an existing branch (created from stash/git, not from JIRA by "Create branch") to a jira issue?

Same thing for a pull request (other than adding a comment with the pull request link...)

7 answers

10 votes
Chris Boudreau August 26, 2016

Use the JIRA ticket number in the title of the pull request - that should link them.

Alfredo Pinto March 9, 2017

In our case we use Git Flow which requiere that we create the branches like this: "Feature/XX-15" , "Hotfix/XX-22"

Is there a way that JIRA supports gitflow? 

Like # people like this
Chris Taormina July 17, 2017

I use gitflow at my job and the link still seems to work just fine. I don't believe there was any extra setup for this.

Ionut Vicovan July 17, 2017

the question refers to code you want integrated as resolution for your issue, which has been already developped and reviewed in an existing pull request, cherry picked from another branch, from upstream, etc. with names/ids not related to current issue.

this above mentioned code fixes an issue created in Jira by some other engineer/customer etc.

so how can you make the branches/pull requests not containing the jira id in the names appear in the list of branches/pull requests for the new issue?

Like mihail_t likes this
Kris Khaira August 23, 2018

I'd love to know how to be able to do this too.

It's weird that it's easier to do this between Pivotal Tracker and GitHub compared to JIRA and Bitbucket, two products by the same company.

Like # people like this
Julio Garcés Teuber September 25, 2019

Hi @Chris Taormina 
Sorry for bother you, but you say you use gitflow and Jira at your job.
How do you handle release versions assigned to a Jira issue?
Here a full question: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Setup-Jira-Issues-version-when-using-Gitflow/qaq-p/1167931
Hope you can take the time to review it.
Thanks!

7 votes
David Karr January 23, 2020

This isn't an answer, but an acknowledgement of the issue in the original post.

In our org, we have the integration working such that if the issue is in the commit comment, then the "Development" section will link to that commit and pull request.

The problem is, if the developer forgets to put the issue in the comment, or misspells it, then the integration doesn't work.  There is no way to add references to commits or pull requests after the commit is created.  The feature is too limited.

2 votes
Binh Phan Duc August 21, 2018

Hi guys,

It would be great if your answer also contained a screenshot.

Then, it will be more helpful.

Thanks,

Binh

1 vote
Leo Stableford February 25, 2020

I was just looking at this and I discovered that if you drop the Issue Number from Jira into the Pull Request title then it auto-links issue, PR and branch, so you don't have to redo all the branch naming and whatnot. HTH someone, as it was looking like a pain for me until I did that.

0 votes
Ana January 21, 2021

Is this auto-linking deprecated? It stopped working for us a while ago and we can't find how to enable it again. 
It seems like the only solution so far is to enable "smart commits" 

0 votes
grazy27 February 19, 2020

Adding number of ticket with # ( #sample-1 )  anywhere in commit message links this commit and a whole branch to ticket.

Not obvious, not convenient.  If atlassian reads this - just copy user experience from azure devops

0 votes
Van Nguyen September 3, 2018

It doesn't seem to work with VSTS. Work with Bitbucket though

Suggest an answer