how to get test cases linked to user story in JIRA

shrish January 11, 2019

i have 300 odd stories that have lot of linked issues (various issue types)

I just want the test cases from the linked issues corresponding to the story

eg: 

Story S1 has Linked issues L1,L2,L3,L4  and only L1, L2 are test and L3,L4 are some bug or task

I want in my result only

S1 -> L1,L2

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2019

Hello Shrish,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

You are trying to return the test cases related to a specific story using JQL, is that correct?

To return the issues you are looking for, you would navigate to search > View all issues and write the following JQL query in the advanced search:

issue in linkedIssues("S1") and issuetype = "test case"

Please, let me know if it works for you.

shrish January 16, 2019

thanks Pete :)

Like rajneesh.mathur likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2019

You are welcome, Shrish!

Have a nice day.

divya.smitha March 17, 2019

Can we link the testcase to story while creating the testcase

Like # people like this
barry alkis January 31, 2020

This was great but is there a way to find all user stories for a specific release and list all tests linked to those stories?  This would be great for creating an RTM and finding any stories that were missing test cases

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

Hello @barry alkis

Unfortunately, Jira does not have the functionality to return the test cases linked to stories returned by a specific query, where you would specify the release.

However, this kind of "Sub-filter" functionality can be achieved by some third-party apps. Here are some options:

JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports 

JQL Tricks Plugin 

ScriptRunner for Jira 

All the mentioned apps are well documented to achieve what you are looking for, however, feel free to reach out if you have any questions or take a look in Atlassian Marketplace if you would like to search for other apps. 

Richard Lopes April 29, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves , How can I get similar results with the query you provided to shrish for all the Bugs or Stories? e.g instead of specifying one user story, Is there an option to pull Test Cases for all Stories or bugs? 

Nikita Talele September 4, 2020

This gives only TEstcases which are linked with S1 user story. 

Could someone plz help me to find all User Stories which are linked with Xray Test?

Like janos_tatar likes this
Guru Prasad June 1, 2021

Is there a way to fetch all the test cases linked to multiple user stories (e.g. Story S1, S2) together instead of doing it one by one per user story?

Like # people like this
Cesar G_ Araujo July 24, 2023

I had the same question, thanks  for the answers!!! 

0 votes
david blenkinsop April 8, 2022

hi @Petter Gonçalves - the JQL construct:

doesnt work for me - Im assuming this is for Jira with Zephyr, as "test case" is a Zephyr object, no?

Im new to this but we are using Jira with Zephyr - any ideas re configuration requirements?

0 votes
Jon ODowd July 17, 2019

How would I get the test cases linked to ALL the stories at once instead of just 1?

Joel A_ August 21, 2019

You can only - 

Under  Test Cycles-Test Cases(You can add Test Cases) and

Under  Test Cycles -Traceability (You can add Issues).

Like Tanja Bobinsky likes this

Suggest an answer