how to enable 'move to' action on an issue

Xia Willuhn February 16, 2021

I have two projects. I want to move issues from one project to another. The 'move to' action is disabled. It says I need to set permission for this. How to set the permission for 'move to'? 

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Hi @Xia Willuhn,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In order to be able to move an issue you need to have the create issue permission in the project you are moving the issue to. To do that, go the other project and check the permission scheme to find out what permission you need, by default you need to be part of the developer role in the project to get create permissions. 

i have admin right already on both project. still the  'move to' is  disabled

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Just because you have admin permissions in the target project does not automatically give you create issue permissions. You have to check the permission scheme used and make sure that you either belong to the role that gives you create permission, or add administrators to that permission. Have a look at How do Jira permissions work? for more details on how permissions works.

i have create issue permission. I could not find where to add 'move to' permission for the projects.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

There should be a move permission too, and you need that permission in the project you are moving the ticket from. The move permission should be just under Modify reporter in the Issue permission section.

could you tell me where is the Modify reporter? please list step by step. thanks

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

Have a look at Manage project permissions and here you can find details about each permission.

under the 'Project settings', there is no 'Permission'

Details

Access

Issue types

Notifications

Features

Apps

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

Okay, then you are using next-gen projects and they do not have a permission scheme. I assume you want to do a bulk move, and in order to do that you have to enable the make bulk changes global permission. You can do that by:

• Go to Settings > System > Global permissions
  • Ensure the user group you are part of has the "Make bulk changes"

ok. I am at the global permissions. it displays make bulk changes. how do I add me to this permission?

it lists at the right side:

jira-software-users

site-admins

jira-administrators

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

If you belong to one of those groups listed you have the right permission, the next thing is to add you to the access list for each of the projects. This is done from Project settings > Access in each project.

For the projects I need to do bulk move, I have  'Administrator' role. The 'move to' is still disabled

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Do you have different fields in the two projects? Or different issue types? This is what is needed to move issues:

Move any issue

This permission allows people to move an issue to another project on your Jira site. To successfully move an issue, they also need permission to create issues in the target project.

This permission requires product access to Jira Software. Learn more about giving people access to you Atlassian products.

This is from Next-gen permissions 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events