how to create recurring automation trigger points

Peyush Agarwal March 30, 2020

Here is the problem statement : 

I have few task which are required to be created on Daily/Weekly/Monthly Frequency. We are following Agile. 

Now task that we create is very simple with few details like Epic Link, SP, Summary and Description 

to give you an example, 

JIRA is created on 01-March and assigned to resource. Resource works on it on 03-March and closes it. Next we need similar task to be done in 1st week of April and I want since this is monthly frequency, Automation create same task every month on 1st Working day. 

how can we do this via JIRA Cloud Automation? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2020

You can easily achieve this using an add on called Recurring tasks for Jira cloud .

With project automation, you'd need to set a fix rate such as the issue creation will be run every 30 days.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 10.39.28 AM.pngHope that helps!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

Hi Peyush - Here's what we do:

1. Created a custom field of type Radio Button (but you could also use Select List (single choice) called Recurring Need (you can call it whatever you want).

2. Populated the Recurring Need field with values for Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-Annually, Annually, etc. - whatever values you want with as few or as many. 

3. Then created a post function on the transition to Done using JMWE to Create a new issue using the clone link type. 

4. In the Due Date field for the new issue, use the code: {{ issue.fields.duedate | dateadd(12,"m") }}

5. Identify what fields you want to be copied to the new issue. 

6. In the Run this post-function conditionally section, use the code: {{ issue.fields['Recurring Need'].value == "Annually" }}

7. Make sure you initial issue has a Due Date value. 

So, when an issue is moved to Done, it will create a new issue with the Due Date exactly one year in advance (in this example) regardless of when it was actually marked Done. Then I have a Swim Lane on the board that checks for things due this week (or Today or this month or in the next two weeks, whatever you want). Then the issue will move into that Swim Lane so I know it needs to be accomplished. When it is Done, another new card is created, etc. 

You could also do the Clone with Automation For Jira or ScriptRunner or another add-on you may already have. 

I hope that helps!

Peyush Agarwal March 31, 2020

@John Funk thanks for your steps. This looks more interesting however we are not allowed to have any JSWE plugins so I cant implement it. 

Any other way? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

You can now use the Automation For Jira tool for free as a part of Jira. I would just use that. 

Suggest an answer