how to create custom template for creating jira issue

saketh-stash January 10, 2016

Hi,

I joined as a entry level JIRA admin in my company, whenever a deployemnet request is needed, the devloper has to create an issue in jir and give some extra details than the default ones. So, is there any way in JIRA that we can create a deloyment issue template, so that whenever a developer would like to create an issue it should give option to choose deployment template and fillout the extra things needed.

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

Nope, the whole point of the "create issue" function is that it asks the user for information that is needed later.  If the information is fixed, then you don't actually need it entered.

You can set up defaults for most fields, so that the users doesn't always have to select from them, but the templates you describe are not really possible.  (A better option is to drop all the fields that depend on something and populate them using post-functions after they commit the new issue, but for complex cases or if/thens, you need code to be able to do that, and you can't do that on JIRA Cloud)

George Peden (Slalom) July 19, 2018

rather than a blank issue description, it would be helpful to define a template of the structure of a story. For example we have defined Definition of Ready with several key sections that need to be filled (Story, Definition Of Done, Acceptance Criteria, etc.)  Also, we would like to use markdown to format this outline.  It is innefficient and inconsist to have each person fat-finger these in from scratch each time.  As a Product Owner, I want a story template in JIRA to fill in the initial structure, then have the story writer fill in the specifics.

This is legitimate feature request.

Like # people like this
Martin Gleria December 13, 2018

I'm really interested in @George Peden (Slalom) request. Is there something like that in JIRA? I saw many plugins in JIRA MarketPlace, but I think this should be native.

Like # people like this
Saibal Dey April 22, 2019

This really make sense & highly required as a native feature.

Like # people like this
Thomas Rogge-Solti August 17, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
I totally agree with @George Peden (Slalom) . We also need the Tickets to be prefilled with (Story, Definition Of Done, Acceptance Criteria, etc.)

This is like a checklist for the developer raising a ticket. It doesn't make sense that everybody has to write those headlines manually every time.

Putting those things in separate fields and make them required would be an option, but won't look nice and make the tickets harder to read.

Like # people like this
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 17, 2020

The decent checklist plugin with templates and the "default checklist" concept might be useful in this case. 

Our checklist plugins offer the mentioned features, as well as integration with automation tools, which might help in more complicated use cases. 

There are also a few other checklist apps in the Marketplace as well as some issue template apps.

Cheers, 
Jack

1 vote
Sandra Bryant May 14, 2019

Within your workflow you have transitions and within those transitions you can select a screen to display when the transition is selected in the workflow step. 

The other option is to create a screen for deployment and with a transition to deployed then the developer will receive the deployment screen make the fields required, then they can complete deployment and it should go to the done column or closed. That's what I would do. 

Sanaa Robinson November 19, 2019

Hi how do I do that in JIRA. trying to create a template for our testers for bug logging. But I want it to be uniform to all bugs and have specific fields to be entered.

0 votes
saketh-stash January 10, 2016

ok, may be i told wrong its not issue its a task that developers give to the deployment team, basically developers don't give all the information at a time, they just give if deployment team asks for or they give it like sctattered. So, our intention is that whenever they create the task, they should be able to see few more fileds like 

a)path of the war file

b)path of the license file

c)version of the software etc

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

Break up your issues into issue types. If, for example, the one you've now detailed here is a "deployment request", then have an issue type called that. You can then associate those custom fields with just that issue type, and the users will on;y be prompted for the relevant fields when they select the right issue type.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2016

Another alternative is to look at the facitilites that JIRA Service Desk provides for these sort of service requests. You can then map different request pages to different types of request but still deal them with them in JIRA as the same issuetype but having made sure that you have captured the correct data for that service request.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
saketh-stash January 11, 2016

I could implement what Nic explained, thanks Nic

Suggest an answer