how to create a labels for a project?

Sekhar Chandra June 21, 2019

Hi,

I want to know about the process of - how to create some labels for a project and associate it to that project and then adding these labels to the issues of that project?

And please help me this thing in cloud also.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2019

Hello @Sekhar Chandra 

Labels are global in Jira and not project specific. But you can create a custom field of type *Label* and add that custom field to the project context in the context configuration of the custom field.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2019

Also, you can name the custom field of type whatever that suits your project needs.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2019

I agree with the use of a separate custom field I would avoid using "Label" as it might get confused w/ Labels later. 

With Labels default filed you add new labels simply by entering them into any issue in any project. A space will indicate a new label so you can enter several at once, e.g. label-1 label-2 label-3.

The advantage of a custom field as Tarun mentions is that you can a) restrict to a project and b) control the available values. You can make this a single or mult-select field.

The thing I don't like about labels is that it is free text and there are misplngs. :-)

Like # people like this
Benjamin Peikes May 24, 2022

The issue is that the multi-select field UI is terrible. There should be an option for the multi-select field to have a "label" like interface.

Like oz yeshurun likes this

Suggest an answer