Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to create a labels for a project?

Hi,

I want to know about the process of - how to create some labels for a project and associate it to that project and then adding these labels to the issues of that project?

And please help me this thing in cloud also.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra Community Leader Jun 21, 2019

Hello @Sekhar Chandra 

Labels are global in Jira and not project specific. But you can create a custom field of type *Label* and add that custom field to the project context in the context configuration of the custom field.

Tarun Sapra Community Leader Jun 21, 2019

Also, you can name the custom field of type whatever that suits your project needs.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Jack Brickey Community Leader Jun 21, 2019

I agree with the use of a separate custom field I would avoid using "Label" as it might get confused w/ Labels later. 

With Labels default filed you add new labels simply by entering them into any issue in any project. A space will indicate a new label so you can enter several at once, e.g. label-1 label-2 label-3.

The advantage of a custom field as Tarun mentions is that you can a) restrict to a project and b) control the available values. You can make this a single or mult-select field.

The thing I don't like about labels is that it is free text and there are misplngs. :-)

Like Angélica Luz likes this

The issue is that the multi-select field UI is terrible. There should be an option for the multi-select field to have a "label" like interface.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you