how to configure user picker field to restrict as per project role profiles.

Srikanth Gogineni June 6, 2016

Hi ,

we have recently migrated JIRA from 5.2.11 to 6.2.7  and migrated user picker-per group fields to user picker . now i want to configure user picker fields to restrict as per project role profiles .

Please help on this.

Regards

Srikanth 

2 answers

1 vote

on the user picker pop up window,

1. in group drop down displays all the groups in application irrespective of the project selected.
  2. while configuring the custom field even if we configure only for roles the user picker pop up windows shows only groups .
  3. we only want the groups or roles selected during custom field configuration to be displayed in user picker pop up and not all. 

4. we checked, seems we need to update JIRA\atlassian-jira\secure\popups*userpicker.jsp* to add drop down for Roles and update the drop downs to show only selected(active filters) for roles and groups respectively.

Below Drop down is showing all Groups irrespective of selection made in custom field configuration, though list of users is shown correctly.
<page:applyDecorator name="auifieldgroup">
<aui:select label="text('userpicker.ingroup')" id="'groups'" name="'group'" list="/groups" listKey="'name'" listValue="'name'" theme="'aui'">
<aui:param name="'cssClass'">full-width-field</aui:param>
<aui:param name="'defaultOptionText'" value="text('common.filters.any')" />
<aui:param name="'defaultOptionValue'" value="''" />
</aui:select>
</page:applyDecorator>

any help will be really appreciated as it is little urgent for us.

Regards

Srikanth G

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

None of that sounds right to me.

Are you using the user-picker add-on you referred to in the question, or have you abandoned it? 

Swati Mittal June 6, 2016

Hi Nic,

We have done JIRA migration from 5.2.11 to 6.2.7 ,during the process we have migrated the kepler "user picker-per group" to user picker (JIRA standard) as the "user picker-per group" custom field is obsolete.

We want the user picker popup to have only the project roles that are selected based on the field configuration.

image2016-6-6 20:15:28.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

The problem is that I don't understand why you aren't just using the group/role selection built into the field.  I can't see the need for anything you've configured here (certainly not the code hacks)

We are using that only Nic. Refer to below screen shot for field configuration

image2016-6-6 20:45:26.png

After doing this, in User Picker Pop up we get the groups drop down - which contains all the groups in the application lets say if there are 20 groups all those are returned.

We don't see any roles which we configured at field level in User picker pop up window, though users returned are correct. So for example if we selected 3 roles out of 15 roles, we want these 3 roles to be shown in drop down. But what happens is,  it returns all 20 GROUPS instead of 3 ROLES selected at field. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2016

I can't get it to do that.  I select a role, I get offered the member of that role.  If I configure it for a group, I get the group members.  If I configure it for multiple sets, I get a list of users from those sets.

The configuration is already shared in above screen shot, and for that configuration we get below :

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2016

That does not look like a standard user picker to me.  It should be a single drop-down list.

Hi Nic,

Let me explain all over again.

1) We migrated from JIRA 5.2.11 to JIRA 6.2.7.

2) We have User Group Per group Custom field in JIRA 5.2.11... and since UGP is obsolete now so we have moved to JIRA standard user picker custom field.

We referred to below url for migrating: 

https://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/UPPG/Migration+to+Jira+User+Picker+-+filtered

in JIRA 6.2.7 - field type converted

image2016-6-7 11:19:46.png

3) we did the configuration as below

image2016-6-7 11:30:17.png

4) On User picker pop up window, we face below issue. In below screen shot we have removed some data for security reasons, the drop down "In Group" is single drop down only.

image2016-6-7 11:30:48.png

Requirement: We need to have in this "In group" drop down only the roles selected during custom field configuration.

Please let us know if something is wrong in way we made changes during migration

Swati Mittal June 7, 2016

Any update on this Nic??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2016

No, I still don't know where you are getting this from.  It's not how a standard JIRA user picker works, so I don't understand what you're getting. 

Start by removing all the customisation that you've done to achieve this.  We need to see the basics working correctly before you can do much more.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2016

Where are you struggling with the configuration?

Suggest an answer