It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

how do you create a service account

Newbie to cloud version.

How do I create an account that the API can access?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Steve,

API uses a user account from the instance, so any Jira user that has permissions to accomplish what you require is fine to use.

In addition, we have the ability to use API tokens in Cloud, which is something that Jira Server doesn't have.

With this, you can generate a token from your login, and use that to authenticate API.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Good morning Shannon,

We want to protect against the possibility of our admin hitting the lottery and leaving for a permanent vacation and having all API keys he/she generated become deprecated when we offboard him/her.

Does this mean we'd have to make a separate account, give it admin access and then generate the API key? Ideally we'd like to not consume a license to generate keys, just wanted to know if there was a way around this.

Hi Jonathan,

Great question! Thank you for reaching out.

As you suspected, the token is tied to the user's account. So if you disable that user in Jira in order to free up the license, then the tokens will no longer be able to be used.

In that case, you will indeed want to have your new admin generate new tokens, and you can update your API calls to use the new token. The user who generates the token does need to be tied to a license in order for it to work. There is not a way around this.

I hope that clarifies things for you! Let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Shannon

Thank you so much!!!!

You're welcome, happy to help!

Shannon

Sorry, but I don't see how the current setup solves the issue with establishing stable integration in case if user leaves organization. Why we need to use actual user account to configure an integration for the company? Why service account can't be created just for the integration purposes ?

Hello Igor,

Thank you for the feedback.

Creating an API token requires a specific user to do it because the token will then be based on their permissions in Jira. This is for security reasons. You can still create an account on Jira to JUST connect to the API and create a token with that.

Let me know if you have any questions about that!

Regards,

Shannon

I was wondering if there is a way to differentiate accounts created towards integrations and not to count them towards the paid number of user seats.

Igor,

Thank you for following up.

You need to have a license on the account in order for it to interact with Confluence's data in any way, including via API. There is unfortunately no way around this.

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Shannon

What admin role should the service account possess? i.e (product, site, organization) 

Hello @Dan.anas,

Thank you for following-up here. This entirely depends on what functionality you need that account to have.

For example:

1. If you need them to be a basic Jira user, then they need to be a licensed Jira user.
  2. If they need to administer Jira via the REST-API (i.e. tasks you've permitted only admins to do) they need to be a Jira administrator.
  3. If you need them to also administer users then they need to be a site admin.

I hope that's clear! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

335 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you