how do specify a screen for jira-users (customers)

Volatiana Andrianarivelo January 10, 2012

can be done a screen configuration specific for customers so that we can specify the values ​​in the type of issue (eg: bug,improvment,story,....) which is available to customers

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2012

No, all users see the same screen when you try to take an action. I.e. "Create issue" shows you the "create" screen, Edit gives you Edit, and so on. You can't define a screen by user.

You can exercise a little control, access to some fields is controlled by permissions (e.g. to assign an issue to someone, you have to have "can assign" rights).

You can also consider doing something with the workflow - allow your internal users one route through the workflow, using one set of screens, and then customers can take different transitions, with their own screens. But that's complex.

If you need a completely different "create" or "edit" screen for customers, you'll need to write something to handle it.

thank you!So can you help me to introduce me to do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2012

Um, I did say the answer was "no". We can give you some guidance if you want to

1. work within Jira to set something up with workflows and/or the fields you can control with permissions
  2. try to write something outside Jira
  3. try to write a plugin (although, if you're using OnDemand, I don't think that will work)

But you'll need to decide which one of these is the best approach, by looking first at what you want for the customers, and thinking through how the whole thing is going to handle, and then telling us.

ok! thank you very much

Volatiana Andrianarivelo January 11, 2012

Hi!

I'd like to specify a group for each project, this group include the client's source of the project. It help me to manage the fields with permissions, then specify the fields which is available to customers.
So it is possible
Or the permission is a global configuration?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2012

I'm sorry, that doesn't make much sense.

>I'd like to specify a group for each project,

That's fine. I prefer to use roles, it lets you delegate the user maintenance to project owners, and it means you can have single simple permission schemes. If you only use groups, you have to set up one permission scheme per group (so 3 clients = 3, very similar, permission schemes, with things like Browse = GroupA). If you use roles, you can set up a single scheme and reuse it. You say things like "Browse = Role of users", and then you can put GroupA into project A's users individually, or use the whole group.

>this group include the client's source of the project

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

>It help me to manage the fields with permissions, then specify the fields which is available to customers.

As I said before, you can control some fields with permissions, but not many. Assignee, Reporter, Fix Versions, Time tracking and due date. No custom fields.

yes I'm talking about project's roles, it's an option to separate customers and developpers.So it restrict the fields that the customers has access but it doesn't solve the restriction at the creation of issues that they have allowed to create (eg bug, improvement,....)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2012

Again, there are only a few fields you can restrict.

And no, you can't restrict the issue types, unless you split the project up (i.e. bugs and improvement in project A, and the developer stuff in project B). There's some workarounds if you want them in the same project, but they're ugly and mostly easy to bypass.

as you say, it doesn't resolved my problem restrict list of issues's type (which is available to customers) so there's no way?

Suggest an answer