how do i send notification for the users who have not logged time in a week ? 1. Send notifications

srinivas.kedarisetty March 20, 2021

How do i send notifications for the users if they missing time logging. 

- Team are assigned to jira for this week and they include story points.

- Team member misses logging the time

- I has a scrum master needs to check which team member did not log time. 

- User should get notification if he missed logging time

- Feature is already there, how to configure

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2021

Hello @srinivas.kedarisetty  welcome,

You can check with your Jira admin to configure a Automation rule as in the below sample picture. (i have not tested it, this is just an example)
or refer here for more details -

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation#:~:text=Automation%20is%20a%20no%2Dcode,focus%20on%20what's%20most%20important.&text=Every%20Jira%20Cloud%20instance%20now,a%20built%20in%20native%20feature.

What should be done is:
1. when a work log is created. the rule checks if the value in the worklog field (i have used timespent) is empty, if empty a mail will trigger to the assignee of the issue.

Picture1.png

On a lighter note as a Scrum Master -- why dont you check and educate your developers to update the field, this could be a 1 min ask during your daily, that should help them understand its importance.
There could be a huge chance that the developers can miss or ignore an automated notification also :), and are you sure that the developers input the exact time spent value.?

srinivas.kedarisetty March 20, 2021

Even after requesting the Developers multiple times, we face this issue.....

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2021

maybe they dont understand the value in entering the time.
help them understand why it is important and maybe how it affects the delivery, revenue ..etc...

Jira as a tool will help you get this notification possible, if the automation does not work, there are REST API which can get things done, but in order to get a good working team, its individuals which will help in getting it.!

Another question: You say you are giving story point estimation and ask your developers log time, why so.? 

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2021

Hi @srinivas.kedarisetty

you could use the following Team Playbook play to find out the reasons why time tracking is avoided with your teams:

5 whys
https://www.atlassian.com/team-playbook/plays/5-whys

My +1 for fixing it on an organizational level rather than automation rules or similar in that case.

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer