how do i close a sprint

Deleted user March 1, 2016

6 answers

17 votes
Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Hi Glenn,

To end the active sprint:

1. Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
  2. Click Active sprints.
  3. If necessary, select the sprint you want to complete from the sprint dropdown.
  4. Click the Complete Sprint button.

let me know if it works.

Perkuto Tech August 23, 2019

I don't see any Agile down arrow in the top nav...
Tried accessing my active sprint board, but the "Complete Sprint" option is now available for these sprints I'm trying to close, despite all issues are done...

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Like # people like this
11 votes
Anatoly Spektor January 16, 2019

I have created a quick Jira tutorial on this if video format is better for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oLWOpoCm8E

Khrystyna Posmah April 26, 2019

Like # people like this
Dhivya Anand May 10, 2019

The video was very helpful. Thanks so much.

Kim Nguyen December 2, 2019

Super helpful! Thank you!

Hatfielix November 15, 2020

Thank you very much 👍

Litovchenko Vladislav December 10, 2020

Thanks you, man!

3 votes
ngl76 October 11, 2019

I'm going to start at the "home" page, just to be complete. So, if not there, click the Jira Software graphic in the top nav bar to get to the default (assuming you've not changed that) "home" page.

Click the Projects dropdown and select the one you want to close a sprint in. Skip to LINK.

----

If you're already up in the Jira you'll have the sidebar nav.

Seek the Taco Rack on the left sidebar nav bar, labelled "Active Sprint", and click it.

----

Now, atleast on my local Jira (v8.4.1):

LINK

In the upper-right there is a not-so-obvious link "Complete Sprint".

Click that and you get a modal that has options. In my case I have a couple of rollovers, despite being awesome.
So, I'm going to choose to move to a newly created, sprint (that I'll start after closing the now-expired sprint). There is also an option to dump undone tasks/stories/bugs, to the Backlog.

I really like Jira, the UI/UX, but this was a pain.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Jira’s documentation contains information about completing a sprint:

1. Go to the Active sprints of your Scrum board.

2. If necessary, select the sprint you want to complete from the sprint drop-down.
    Note that if you have multiple sprints in the Active sprints of your board, the 'Complete Sprint' button will not appear until you select one of the sprints.

3. Click Complete Sprint. All completed issues will move out of Active sprints.

4. If the sprint has incomplete issues, select from one of the following:

• Backlog, to move the issues to the backlog

• Any future sprint, to move the issues to any future sprint that's already created

• New sprint, to create a new sprint and then move the issues to the new sprint

Note that your issues won't be marked with the date the sprint was closed; however, you can always view the sprint for an issue to find out when the sprint ended.

There are some reasons why this may not immediately work - let’s look at some potential roadblocks to solve when closing a sprint.

1. For sprints that have parent issues and sub-tasks:

1. If you have parent issues that are 'Done' but sub-tasks that are not 'Done', you won't be able to end the sprint. You must complete the sub-tasks first.

2. If you have parent issues that are not 'Done' but have sub-tasks that are all 'Done', the parent issues will still be moved to the selected future sprint or to the Backlog. If these parent issues are part of another active sprint, the previously completed sub-tasks are still 'Done'.

2. The Manage Sprint permission is required for every project listed on the board. It’s possible that multiple projects are represented on the board and that you don’t have the correct permission on all of them. The article Use manage sprints permission for advanced cases describes some methods for looking through board queries to simplify them and resolve permission problems.
    For Jira Server/Data Center since version 8.6.0: There is also a permission called ‘Start/Complete Sprints’ that you specifically need.
    You hover your mouse cursor over that grayed out ‘Complete Sprint’ button to learn more information about the limitation here, like so:
    startstop.png
    In this case, the Learn More link directs you to our documentation on Completing a Sprint which provides more info on the necessary permissions.

3. Multiple sprints - When parallel sprints option is enabled in Jira Software, it is possible to run more than one active sprint at a time on a board. You may see this:
    complete.png

“You can only complete one sprint at a time”.
    In this case, select which sprint to view on the board:
    allsprints.png

and the “Complete sprint” option should become available.
0 votes
Kaushik Nagarkar June 12, 2020

I had similar issue with sprint. They were not active. All the issues had been done. So the sprint was neither active nor could it be completed. I realized that this was because the sprint had not been started (but the stories were all worked on and completed). So I created a dummy issue in that sprint. That enabled the start button. I started the sprint. And immediately marked the dummy issue as done. with that the complete sprint button was enabled and I was able to complete the sprint. 

0 votes
Nicus August 14, 2019

I was trying to close a sprint but it detects all my issues are incomplete, which we have already completed.

Any reason why this happens?

Perkuto Tech August 23, 2019

I have the same issue. 

No option to close the sprint so it remains open. I check all issues and they're all closed. 

Been using Jira for over 1 year straight as the power user and still can't figure how to close a sprint. 

UX and UI is very clunky.

Deleted user February 17, 2020

Hi, i face this issue, and resolved it.

Go to page "issues and filters", then make a request and check all ticket are in status over (done or anything else).

Pass them on this status / move to next sprint 

Proceed to close sprint

Karina Lasmane March 2, 2020

To complete tasks in a sprint you need to move them to the right most column of the board. The right most column is Definition of Done (DoD) and can vary based on the team that is working with a task, e.g., QA will complete their tasks when they are "Tested", Developers will complete their tasks when they are Delivered for testing etc.

Like Mariana Ybañez likes this
Mariana Ybañez March 8, 2021

Thanks you so much @Karina Lasmane!!, i had my "final states" en the middle of the board and i couldnt close any issue. I never thougth that was provocated for the order of the columns!.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events