how do I set up groups for projects

ThomasK May 28, 2015

I need to have users only see/work the project they are assigned. Currently I have created a project group and assigned people to that group. I removed those users from the jira-users group. I then added the project based group to the roles for the project under Users.

Currently no one from that group can see the project.

What am I missing?

2 answers

1 vote
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2015

Thomas, first you would have to check your JIRA Global Permissions in order to check if the jira-users group is not the default group of your instance, which means that they are the only group who has JIRA Users Global Permissions, if they are, you can't, then, remove users from this group as they might lose access to JIRA as a whole:

In a second point, about restricting projects for a set of users, you might want to review your Project Permissions and grant for each specific groups JIRA Browse Projects permission. This permission is the one that controls who has view permission over the project, groups assigned this permission in a permission scheme will be able to browse the project content.

This link contains a little more information about JIRA Project Permissions:

I hope it helps!

0 votes
Juan Peraza May 28, 2015

Hmm?  I don't believe you can remove users from the jira-users group.  I believe membership in the jira-users is how JIRA licenses are assigned.  I think everything you did except removing users from the jira-users group is correct - you "added the project-based group to the roles for the project under Users".

Suggest an answer