It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

how do I clone a project?

What is the best way to create project templates on JIRA Sofware? Something we can use to create all projects (clone/copy)?

5 answers

An alternative to plugins is the feature in JIRA. When you create a project, the project type selector dialog has a link at the bottom: "Create with shared configuration". 

If you choose that, you can select a source project to base your new project on. You can this way set up template projects, or simply select on of your real projects.

It creates a project with the setting configuration but not the tasks

Like # people like this

Should be standard functionality.

Hi All,

I have cloned a project in jira from another project. But when i change any field in my new project it gets changed in my old as well. How to I solve this? Thanks in advance. 

When you clone a project, the schemes get cloned as well. Unless you create a new scheme, any time you update a scheme it will affect both projects. 

These schemes are:

• permission scheme
  • notification scheme
  • issue security scheme
  • workflow scheme
  • issue type scheme
  • issue type screen scheme
  • field configuration scheme
Like Mokhtar Fatmi likes this

Starting in the Projects screen, select Create project.

Click Advanced.  Select Share settings with an existing project and specify the Key of the project you want to clone.

Older version had an option to copy all tasks and connections too, Is this really gone now!?

Like John Gill likes this

Curious about this as well

It doesn't copy the tasks and connections just the settings

With our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira you can bulk clone more than thousand issues at once.

To clone an entire project you would have to:

1. Create a new Jira project with same settings as the project you want to clone.

2. Filter for all  issues you want to bulk clone.

3. Bulk clone & move all issues to the newly created project in one go.

sounds like a solution because currently I have to keep recreating the same projects as mine are normally 2 weeks sprint projects. Let me talk to my admin 

That truly is a nice tool. In my Case I also need to clone the components and labels to the new project @Marlene Kegel -codefortynine- Do you see any chance that happening in any way?

Hi @Martin Friedl,

Components and Labels are also cloned to the new project with Deep Clone for Jira.

You just have to make sure that the Component is also available in the target project. If not the Component won't be cloned.

Why is this not out of the box functionality? Seriously... is there also an app that I need to pay for so I can manage permissions easier? JIRA you need to step your game up on improving your system functionality rather than changing the layout every 3 to 6 months. @Atlassian

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

880 views 7 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you