how can I stop users from making any changes, except comments, once a status is reached?

Once a status is reached, I would like to prevent any thing being changed, except comments. What is a good way to do this?

thanks

1 answer

1 votes

JIRA workflow properties - you can set a flag on a step in a workflow that says "no editing".  You can also block comments and other stuff in a similar way.  Do editing first though - the reason I say that is that there is an example of it in the default JIRA workflow that you can't delete - look at the properties on the "closed" step in there and you'll see something like jira.issue.editable = false

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html for more of them (you can also mess with the permissions which can be handy for blocking work logs and other stuff)

Nic, you are a life saver. Thanks for your help.

Nic,I am working on setting a flag on  workflow set for "no editing". I am googling for the steps and having difficulty pulling information up on this. Do you have any suggestions where I can go to find these steps?

thanks

Ok, the page I gave you has the values you can use, but I'm not aware of a really simple clear guide to getting to the place you use them (other than Christian Czaia's course on the subject)

So...

• Go to the workflow you want to do this to
  • Edit it (to get a draft)
  • In the diagram view, click on the status (let's say "Closed" for now)
  • A box with some details should appear to the right
  • It should have "properties" at the bottom, so click that
  • Now you can add properties/value pairs

Nic, I got if figured out. Here is the process, go to workflow > text version > click on the appropriate status you want to affect > go to properties > for the property key use: jira.issue.editable and for the property value use: false.  Meaning you can't edit anything but the comment field. It worked perfect for my requirements.

We will both know the answer next time.

Um, I did know the answer, I gave one route to it because most people tend to use the diagram nowadays.  The text route only differs in that you could say in step three "In the text view, click on the status"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,089 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot