how can I stop users from making any changes, except comments, once a status is reached?

John Pfotzer May 9, 2016

Once a status is reached, I would like to prevent any thing being changed, except comments. What is a good way to do this?

thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2016

JIRA workflow properties - you can set a flag on a step in a workflow that says "no editing".  You can also block comments and other stuff in a similar way.  Do editing first though - the reason I say that is that there is an example of it in the default JIRA workflow that you can't delete - look at the properties on the "closed" step in there and you'll see something like jira.issue.editable = false

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html for more of them (you can also mess with the permissions which can be handy for blocking work logs and other stuff)

John Pfotzer May 9, 2016

Nic, you are a life saver. Thanks for your help.

John Pfotzer May 9, 2016

Nic,I am working on setting a flag on  workflow set for "no editing". I am googling for the steps and having difficulty pulling information up on this. Do you have any suggestions where I can go to find these steps?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2016

Ok, the page I gave you has the values you can use, but I'm not aware of a really simple clear guide to getting to the place you use them (other than Christian Czaia's course on the subject)

So...

• Go to the workflow you want to do this to
  • Edit it (to get a draft)
  • In the diagram view, click on the status (let's say "Closed" for now)
  • A box with some details should appear to the right
  • It should have "properties" at the bottom, so click that
  • Now you can add properties/value pairs

John Pfotzer May 9, 2016

Nic, I got if figured out. Here is the process, go to workflow > text version > click on the appropriate status you want to affect > go to properties > for the property key use: jira.issue.editable and for the property value use: false.  Meaning you can't edit anything but the comment field. It worked perfect for my requirements.

We will both know the answer next time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2016

Um, I did know the answer, I gave one route to it because most people tend to use the diagram nowadays.  The text route only differs in that you could say in step three "In the text view, click on the status"

Suggest an answer