how can I see the history of changes made to a JIRA workflow?

Shadi Najjar May 9, 2018

Someone changed the status of a workflow in JIRA, a person went and changed it back so now the tag only shows the last person that modified the workflow, I am trying to get the history of changes to the workflow. how can i access that?

3 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2018

This doesn't help you right now, but JIRA changes should be under your change control system so you can track ANY change in your system.  If you find people aren't honoring that a couple days off without pay may give them the incentive to follow the rules. 

George Turnbull April 5, 2024

not particularly helpful for the querier or me, since 
a. we don't (and often can't) determine what systems are and are not included in a change contol system

b. Often systems that aren't code and aren't hardware config don't have Change Control sytems connected

c. Many would consider complete change logging de rigor for a software package such as this, from a supposed industry leader as Atlassinan

d. Generally, at my level, I don't have the authority for such draconian responses to minor infractions (a better permissions scheme might be a more appropriate choice) 

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2018
Shadi Najjar May 30, 2018

Thank you Thomas, but unless I misunderstood the answer it doesn't give the information I am looking for. 

What I am trying to determine is if multiple people have access to modify workflows, how can I track the history of all changes. That feature I believe is not available. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

@Shadi Najjar - yes, you're right, this feature is not available. And that is what Nic answered in the linked question.

Eileen Conroy September 30, 2020

I would also like to see the history so I can educate the person that made the changes in error. Please provide History of Workflow changes.

Like # people like this
Katherine Pitas May 3, 2023

It would be really great to have this feature added to Site Admin role level in JIRA.

Like gmccalman likes this
gmccalman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 12, 2023

Here I am looking to see in July 2023 how to see the Jira workflow history after I did so much work to make a comprehensive workflow to highlight testing phase <tears>. Is it possible that the feature is there now? I am looking.

0 votes
Lisandro Paolini May 9, 2018

Hi! Jira doesn't save the history of the workflow. You can save it manually by storing the backups. What you could do, is to export the workflow as an XML and store it in a VCS like 'svn' or 'git'. Then with the 'diff' commands, you can see and track the changes (history).

Shadi Najjar May 30, 2018

Thank you for the reply, i was looking more along the lines of if someone changes it without me knowing how can i track the history of changes. apparently that is not an available feature.

Regards,

Shadi

Suggest an answer