how can I make JIRA search and display similar issues when create new issue?

when I create an issue and enter some text (e.g. upgrade) in summary field within Atlassian support, some issues related to "upgrade" then display on the screen.

How can I make this happen in our JIRA? Our jira (5.1.8) does not search and display any related issues when users enter text in Summary field. This function can remind users that similar issues existed and also the solution may be there too. Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
David Chan Atlassian Team Jan 08, 2013

Hi Sherry,

That is actually from a custom script that is added to the Summary field's description. We call this script "Virgil", which can be found/downloaded from here:

You can also get more information about how we use JIRA for support here:

thanks, David.

Do I just copy the xml script and paste to the Summary field's description?

Thanks for your help.

David Chan Atlassian Team Jan 08, 2013

Just ran a quick test, it seems that this may no longer work with the latest versions of JIRA. So this article is indeed outdated. In this case, it may be easier to follow @Renjith's suggestion with the plugin.

You can also use this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deniz.jira.similarissues It is a new and customizable. In addition to suggesting similar issues in issue create dialog it also adds a similar issues tab that makes detection of duplicates easier.

Hi, maybe you guys still need the solution for your problem.. Here is what I found:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deniz.jira.similarissues

• customizable
  • for 100 Users just $30! Amazing!

FYI: I dont work for them, I just think that those plugin is awesome and of course very helpful

Cheers,

Hariz

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

90 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you