getting Jira Setup / Database Configuration instead of login screen

Kris W August 25, 2011

I'm upgrading Jira from 4.2.4 to 4.4 . I've tried to follow all the instructions here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually

I did all the more manual things, since I'm upgrading from a version earlier than 4.3.

I thought I'd done everything right, but when I run

bin/start-jira.sh

and try to log in, I get the JIRA Setup Database Configuration screen. When I enter all the info about the database, it says,

"The database specified is not empty. Please specify an empty database for your JIRA installation."

I did update jira-application.properties to point to my old home directory - it now has a single line like this:

jira.home = /var/www/my-jira-home-dir

What do I need to do to stop getting the Setup and instead get the login page?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Veenu Bharara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2011

The issue is that in old days JIRA used to store database setting in entity.xml & Server.xml file. One option is you manually copy these files to JIRA 4.4 and start JIRA. Or When upgrading manually there is no need to create a dbconfig file, just launch config.sh/bat from bin folder depending in your OS. Input all detais like JIRA home & database settings. Test the connection, plesae specify all data like schema name etc properly. Now start JIRA. JIRA will read the database details and create a dbconfig file for you. Please let us know you went with this.

Cheers

Kris W August 29, 2011

Thanks -

I tried running config.sh but I don't have an X11 DISPLAY variable set.

So I thought I'd try copying entity.xml and server.xml, but I can't find entity.xml. I have server.xml in the conf directory of my old jira app directory. Where's entity.xml?

Kris W August 29, 2011

UPDATE: I think everything's running okay now.

I updated the dbconfig.xml file and changed dbserver to localhost and I think that did it.

i'm going to test for an hour or two then I'll come back and accept answers if everything looks okay.

Thanks to Veenu and Colin.

Kris W August 30, 2011

Everything's up and running now.

I thank both of you for your help.

Veenu Bharara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2011

Just to clarify the file I mention in my answer is entityengine.xml and not just entity.xml. Sorry for that and good to hear...it work for you.

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2011
So what are the settings in the dbconfig.XML?
Kris W August 26, 2011

Ahah. I didn't have a dbconfig.xml file. I think I thought it would be created when the upgrade started up.

I created one manually, though, with all the right settings as far as I know, but it's still showing the setup page when I try to open Jira, and it still tells me the database is not empty.

What's the best way to get a correct dbconfig.xml file in the existing home directory when upgrading like this?

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2011

Although you say you checked it, it does sounds like it is pointing at the wrong home directory so thinks that JIRA hasn't been setup. Can you check the log files in the existing home directory to see if it logged anything when it first booted up? If not, that would indicate it isn't using that home directory

Kris W August 25, 2011

Hi Colin,

Checking the logs - what a good idea.

The logs show:

Jira ran an automatic backup (Backup Service data export)

Jira shut down (I shut it down)

Jira started up, version 4.4

Djava.util.logging.config.file shows the correct, new 4.4 directory

[atlassian.jira.startup.JiraHomeStartupCheck] The jira.home directory '/var/www/vhost/jira' is validated and locked for exclusive use by this instance.

(That is the correct home directory for the 4.2.4 existing installation.)

[jira.config.database.SystemTenantDatabaseConfigurationLoader] Reading database configuration from /var/www/vhost/jira/dbconfig.xml

but then:

___ Plugin System Started _________________

2011-08-25 21:13:11,428 main INFO [jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl] The database is not yet configured

So it looks like my problem is that it thinks the database is not yet configured, even though it was for version 4.2.4.

Suggest an answer