from SAP ByDesign to Jira

Koen Bruggeman February 28, 2020

Hello,

I'm only the guy which was asked by management to look for a better solution for our needs.

We used to have TOPdesk as our ticketing system. And an old ERP package for the rest of our administration. These two are replaced by SAP ByDesign (cloudbased).

For logistics it is great, but as a ticketingsystem it is really..clumsy. One thing which is great is that the ticketingsystem is directly connected to our serial number database, which is very important for warrantrytracking.

We also use a seperate ticketingsystem inside SAP ByDesign between internal servicetickets (employees only) and external service tickets (employees and customers). So tickets can be completed seperately, while both tickets are about the same serial number.

I want to ask the community this question before I start the 7 days free trial. So I can prepare a small database and try to import into Jira system.

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2020

Hi Koen,

welcome to Atlassian Community!

From what I understood you are tasked with either a migration job and/or integration question. I could not determine per 100% what exactly is the case.

In case it is some kind of migration you are looking to do you would have to check if data from the old system can be exported to CSV in some kind and then to import it into Jira (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html).

If this is not possible it might require coding/programming efforts to address Jira REST API to create issues based on the data of the old system.

The requirement to show several content of a ticket to employees only and further contents to customers is what Jira Service Desk is about.
For the integration of an external database, for example a one holding serial numbers, you would have to plan in extra effort. If you want to migrate serial number data to Jira, maybe into a Custom Field, then the effort is lower but it depends on what is in scope of your project and if you are willing to migrate.

In case of further, detailed questions a great crowd of Community members is here to help.

Cheers,
Daniel

Koen Bruggeman February 7, 2021

thank you daniel, for some reason i wasnt notified about your reply and i just read your answer now :D

Meanwhile we are aready using JSD and found my way back to this community. Ill sure be adding more questions here.

Katie Levy January 23, 2023

Hi Koen

Did your company integrate SAP ByDesign with JSD? If so, how did you do it?

Koen Bruggeman January 24, 2023

Hi Katie

We didnt. Still running SAP ByDesign as ERP and JSD as ticketting system. Manually copying relevant info from SAP into JSD :-(

We didnt try to migrate either so I am unable to help you further with this.

We use a paragraph field to insert a link to SAP ByDesign as 'easy-reference'.

Suggest an answer