field value is shown, though value got deleted before

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2016

Hi there,

i use the "delete field value" transition, to get rid of the labels of an issue.

when using the workflow transition, JIRA issue history tells me, that the field value is set to NULL.

field_value_set.JPG

But in the issue itself, the field is still set..

field_still_set.JPG

Any ideas?

Do i have to reindex?

Best Regards,

Alexander Richter

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2016

Which add-on are you using to provide the "delete field value" and how is the post-function configured?

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

Sorry, the transition is called "clear field value" and belongs to the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions (version 4.0.2)

in the post-function, you just choose the field thats value should be deleted.

image2016-3-7 12:5:17.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

Ah, yes, the labels field is an unusual field and I'm not sure the JMWE does quite the right thing when it clears it out (I wrote something like that a while ago, which worked fine for most custom fields, but did much the same as you're seeing here)

In this case, I'd try other options to update the field - do you have any other options for setting custom field values in post-functions?  Setting it to "" instead of "clear field"?

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2016

i tried the "Copy a parsed text to a field" post function and set the field to "" as you suggested.

It shows the same result as before. The field is cleared correctly but the old value is still shown in the issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

Ok, that implies that the change of field is being done after JIRA has stored the issue data.  Could you have a look at the exact order of all of the post-functions on the transition?

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

These are the post functions for this transition (there are some more which copy field values to linked issues, but i thought they would not be relevant for this isse)

I also tried different orders, but the result stays the same

1. The contents of the field Labels will be purged.
  2. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  3. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  4. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  5. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  6. Fire a Allgemeines Ereignis event that can be processed by the listeners.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2016

Ok, I admit that I'm stuck - you're doing everything correctly.  I'd want to look in the log to see if there are any errors when the transition is run, but that's clutching at straws.  It looks to me like the standard functions won't clear the labels correctly.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2016

it seems to have been a temporary bug or some kind of that.

At the moment the clear field value post function works as it should and is deleting the value of labels instantly.

Suggest an answer