field validation plugin

Fabio Catalano July 4, 2013

Hi,

I have a very old jira version Jira 3.13.5 According your experience which is the best plugin to perform field validation controls? I was trying behaviour and groovy plugin but they do not work properly. "Behaviour plugin" is working just for making a field mandatory (other functionalities do not work), "groovy plugin" it's working but when I set the error custom message i get a generic "error creating issue"

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2013

It depends on the validation you need.

Behaviours and the Scripting plugin are very useful and do work well on Jira 3.13 (there's no information here to help us debug your issue creation - have a look at the log file). You could also try other plugins from the marketplace that provide validators, or even write your own validators for the workflow transitions. Look for Jira Suite utilities and Misc Workflow extensions as a start.

For all of this though, it is well worth checking that you are using the correct versions of the plugins for Jira 3.13...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2013

Difficult to tell from that. Either the version of the plugin is wrong, or it's configured to validate something it can't, or it's a bug.

Maybe share what you've set up on this validator as well?

Fabio Catalano July 4, 2013

Hi Nic, thanks for your response. I can guve you a portion of the log file of today activities. Please see attached file: (catalina.Part.out.txt)

Fabio Catalano July 8, 2013

It is just the mandatory field validation by using the post function workflow control. I expect to see the error message I set up but i just see a generic error with no information

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2013

I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense.

First of all, post-functions are not there to do validation on data. That should be done in validators.

Secondly, Jira doesn't have any mandatory field validation off-the-shelf...

So, if you're doing it in a post-function, that would explain why it's not really working - it's bad design and probably not doing what you think it should (and almost certainly not even capable of doing it either). If it is being done in the right place, by a validator, then you'll need to work out what plugin is providing the validator you are using, then we might be able to help!

Nic sorry my explanation was misleading. I'm not using post-function, I'm using groovy runner plugin. We have created the (groovy script.txt) that is checking fields. If the field don't match the condition an error should be displayed. The groovy plugin gives the possibility of showing a custom error message, but when we get the error jira shows just a generic error. Please see the screenshot.

Configuration of the error:

Message shown:

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2013

Ah, good, that's stopped me wandering off in the wrong direction.

I think that should all work, from my distant memory of the script runner in 3.12.

However, as you aren't getting the script runner error, I'm tempted to suggest that it's not actually that particular script causing the problem, but something else. When you get that error (which I'm seeing in a plugin I'm trying to convert from 4 to 5 at the moment), it could be a number of things. So far, Jira has written a LOT more into my log files about the error, so could you look there to see if it's being more talkative?

(This still doesn't change the recommendation from Renjith or my first response, I still think you're using the best options)

This is the log since the last jira restart. (catalina.out-short.txt)

Nic yes the log is bigger than the portion you saw (original il 200MB).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2013

Ok, that looks llike it's a bug in the scripting plugin, or the interface between the plugin and Jira's validator structures then. It's reporting your error message inside the plugin, but that's not flowing back to the validators for presentation to the user.

I'm afraid your options are limited here - first, check that the version of the script runner is definitely the latest one that is valid for that version of Jira. If it is, then you're pretty much stuck - you could ask for help, but all you'll get from Atlassian is "upgrade to a supportable Jira", and I doubt Jamie would go back that far to support the script-runner either.

Fabio Catalano July 10, 2013

Thanks Nic for your support.

0 votes

Yes I 'know but I have many constraint related to customization done during the past years that make difficult to upgrade without a big impact on our processes

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2013

Fabio, it is really an old version. Try moving to a newer versions and I promise you, you will love the new releases.

Suggest an answer