export and import jira configuration (customfields, Plugins) only

Rene Bäumer July 19, 2012

I would like to know if it is possible just to export and import jira configuration?

Backround:

We have got a jira 3.13 with a lot of customfields, plugins, projects and issues. And I just want to migrate the Settings, to Jira 5 to build a tesetserver, without Porjects, Issues, Users.

2 answers

0 votes
Amanda Wei July 22, 2012

Hi Rene,

Just an addition to Wojciech comment. As you mentioned that currently you are using JIRA3.13. For export and import JIRA configuration, that is not possible to import data from JIRA3.13 to JIRA 5 directly since there is a version 4 between them. So JIRA 4 is also required.

Accodring to your request, you are going to build a testserver in JIRA5, here is my suggestion steps:

1. You must have a JIRA4 version as a transfer server.

2. Export all of your data from JIRA3.13 to XML. (Including the projects, issues, users, customfields and plugins)

3. Import the XML to JIRA 4.

4. Delete all the projects, issues from JIRA 4.

5. Export the data from JIRA 4 to XML which has been specify in last step.

6. Import the new XML to JIRA5

Now, you should have all the data you want to migrated.

Hope this can help!

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask!

All the best!

Amanda

Haani_Niyaz October 15, 2015

Hi Amanda, So the Jira application backup does export custom fields does it?

0 votes
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2012

You can export your production instance to XML, load it into test server, delete all projects and issues and re-export again to XML :)

You won't be able to automatically export/import installed plugins (i.e. whether they were installed or not).

Deleting users is tricky, as then you may lose some of your settings: concrete users can be used in notifications, workflow actions, permissions. etc. So, unless your user accounts have to be completely different in new JIRA, I would leave them.

Alternatively you can play directly with DB, but the method described above give your is less risky.

Suggest an answer