epic name issue when moving jiras

Stefanie Sullivan November 8, 2019

I am using jira cloud. I am moving an entire project. Why is the EPIC name required on the move when I specific to retain the original? Is this going to overwrite my epic values to the SAME value for everything I am moving? I can move them one at a time but this seems dumb.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-902499024.html#Bulk+Move

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Hello Stefanie,

Thank you for reaching out.

The Epic name is required by default to all Epics in your instance. In fact, an Epic can not be created without an epic name, however, once the epic is created and set with any value in the Epic name, the field does not need to be edited anymore.

That being said, I believe that maybe you are facing this error when bulk moving your issues because of the following reasons:

1 - The project that you are moving the issues from is a Next-gen project and the target project is classic. Next-gen does not have the Epic name field, so it is required that you set the Epic name when mapping them to Epics from standard projects.

2 - During the bulk process, you are mapping an issue from standard type (Task, Story, etc) to be an Epic in the new project. 

If the information above does not clarify your current scenario, please provide us with the JQL query you are using to move your issues and a screenshot displaying how you are setting the fields during the bulk process. P.S: Make sure you've hidden all the sensitive information from your screenshots before posting it.

Stefanie Sullivan November 12, 2019

I think my issue was that the fields were at the bottom of the layout for new issues and I could not see them in the window. User error = needed to scroll :(

I have since fixed the layout.

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
11 votes
Andreas Lärkfeldt September 14, 2020

A suggestion - if it is as Petter is writing!

I would go ahead moving the issues as well as adding a new text - say "epic". This is of course not how it should be, but I think this workaround is working quite well anyhow - wont take that much extra time.

After moving the issues, the Epic name will be "epic" on ALL epics that was moved from the NextGen to Classic project in Cloud. So how to fix this?

Set up an automation and "bulk fix" it :)

1. Create new Automation and select "Scheduled" as trigger. Add a JQL-question to minimize the number of issues: issuetype in (epic) AND project in (XXX). XXX is the new project.

2. Add a condiction. If: Epic name equals epic

3. Add a action. Edit issue fields. Select Epic name and "copy Summary from Current issue"

4. Run the rule, and all Epic names will once more be what they were in the previous project.

:) Hope it helps!

Felix September 22, 2020

Great stuff, Andreas! Worked like a charm!

Please just adjust your JQL query to better match the expected input:

-> issuetype = 'epic' AND project = 'XXX'

Cheers again

Phil Borrell November 25, 2020

@Andreas Lärkfeldt 

This is fantastic, thanks for the help.

I also looked in the REST API and couldn't find a solution either, so thanks again.

Andrew Waites September 15, 2022

HI - I did this and the backlog is now fine but the board has not updated (still showing "epic".

Do I need to regenerate something for the board to reference the epic names?

Yamini Kagal March 8, 2023

Worked great! I've dealt with this issue a few times and it's always been a pain to fix. Love the automation idea. For those unfamiliar with Jira Automations, you just have to click the Run Rule button up top to execute it.

Carol Chow May 21, 2023

Thanks a lot! Saved me a hour of tedious work.

May good fortune fall upon you! :o)

Suggest an answer