email notification from events failing

Tom Napper March 24, 2015

Hello.

I have created a custom event. This event uses the "Issue Created" template. It is associated with a transition in a workflow and associated with an issue type through the appropriate schemes. I have checked the Notification Helper and it indicates that the appropriate user should be notified when this event is triggered. They are not. 

I have changed the PostEvent in my workflow from triggering "Panic Issue" (my custom event) to triggering "Issue Created" (the system event) and everything works as expected.

So my question to you is this. What else should I check to see why this event isn't firing?

The event says it is "Active" and it is associated with the correct Notification Scheme and the correct workflow. 

What else should I be checking?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2015

Hi Tom,

I just performed some tests, and even if you change the event to a custom one, the notification is correctly delivered. Is it only one user facing the problem? Does it receive notifications from other projects that are not using that workflow? Please take a look at Not Receiving Email Notifications in JIRA Cloud as it can be helpful. If it doesn't help, please raise an issue with us so we can further troubleshoot this.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2015

Hi Tom,

I am glad you were able to fix this. I don't believe this is a bug as it is outlined in our documentation about Notification Schemes:

Please Note:

• Email notifications will only be sent to people who have permission to view the relevant issue — that is, people who:

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Tom Napper March 25, 2015

Clarissa. What I saw was that if the FIRST person did not have those permissions that ANYONE after that person did not get an email, even if they had browse permissions. So in my example, when I was testing last night NOBODY was getting an email notification, but when I changed the Browse Projects permissions on the FIRST person in the list, then BANG! everyone got notified. It felt like JIRA got hung up.

cgauterio
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2015

That's odd Tom, I just tested this and even if the person at the top of the list didn't have Browse Projects permission, the rest of the list was correctly notified. If you are able to replicate this again, please share some more details with us so we can test this in the same way. Cheers, Clarissa.

0 votes
Tom Napper March 25, 2015

Clarissa, 

Thanks for the input. Well, with your help, I solved the problem. However, I still think there might be a bug lurking in there. I had two users being notified when this custom event fired. The first (user a) in the list did not have "browse projects" permissions for this project, the other (user b) did. That is what was stumping me. Why were BOTH emails not getting notified. 

When I changed permissions to allow the user (user a) to "browse projects" BOTH users were notified. They were stacked with User A on top of User B. See the attached screen shot.custom event.jpg

So there might be a bug there. 

Suffice it to say. Things are fixed thanks to your link to "Not Receiving Email..."

Regards.

Tom

Suggest an answer