editing / adding labels in JIRA

Gilbert Louis September 4, 2018

Hi, newly admin for our jira/confluence and still learning. However been using both for some time as a user.

I am looking to edit the list of labels in our JIRA tickets.

We already use this field ansd it contains some values which we can select through the dropdown.

Thought it was something easy that would take me just few minutes but somehow I can't find a way to edit that list.

How can I find that current list of options for the 'labels' field and how can I amend it?

using jira cloud.

Thx, G

3 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2018

Hello,

You can't delete label, if you want there is a workaround to edit label from issue:

• search for issues with your particular label
  • bulk edit -> select all -> edit issues -> change labels -> add to existing. Add the new label
  • go back to your search and bulk edit again (at this point, both the new and old labels should be present)
  • bulk edit -> select all -> edit issues -> change labels -> find and remove these. Type the old label name.
Gilbert Louis September 5, 2018

Thank you @Mohamed Benzianefor your response. It worked and now I'll be able to clean up our labels... 

But why we have to do this work around instead of having CRUD functions of labels as a normal workflow Atlassian?

Like # people like this
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2018

Hi Gilbert,

I can't answer you sorry, i face some difficulty like this one, in my organization we want to edit filter but it is not possible, only the creator of the filter can modify the filter. Many people have this trouble.

Kind regards

Gilbert Louis September 5, 2018

I'm with you Mohamed, these are for atlassian to work on.

Thx for answering my question nonetheless ;-)

G

0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 21, 2020

Hi Gilbert,

Jira does not have this feature by default. However, you can use our add-on: Label Manager for Jira Cloud

You can view all labels at one place. It also has other label management features like searching, filtering, renaming and deleting.

Give it a try and let us know if you face any issue.

De Sjaak May 18, 2021

Hi Nar - can Label Manager do a bulk 'add' of labels? (eg give all issues of a Project the same label)

Debbra Walsh June 2, 2022

I added Label Manager for Jira Cloud and the one label that I want to remove is not listed yet it shows up in the dropdown of labels to choose from within an issue. I want it gone:(

Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 21, 2022

Sometimes deleted labels might be still suggested as recent labels. This is caused by Jira storing recently used labels in browser local storage. There is ticket to fix this in Jira Issue tracker.

In the meantime, you can delete the local storage data from your browser. To do that, open ConsoleApplication (or Storage in Firefox) → Local Storage. After that, find your Jira URL, right click and use Delete All popup to delete temporary data stored in your browser.

Hope that helps.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2018

There is no list of labels in Jira, the labels are put on the issues and loaded from there.

Suggest an answer