duplicates vs duplicated by

What's the difference between duplicates and duplicated by options provided for ticket linking ?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Nothing, other than which issue is which.

Links are directional, which is why you have two descriptions for each link type - from one end of the link "X duplicates Y" and from the other end, "Y is duplicated by X". It's telling you which one was the original in that case.

So, in this case Y is the original one right?

Yes.

I find the language on links to be clumsy. "X (original) is duplicated by Y (new one)" feels a bit contrived, but I have not really come up with a better sentence to make it more clear.

Chris Fuller Atlassian Team Jun 07, 2014

It's also worth mentioning https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24563...

Does that mean that if I update the status of one of them the other status will update to reflect the same ?

Absolutely not, that would be an utter disaster for most links.  Links are for information about how two issues are related.  What you're asking for here does make sense in some cases, but not in most of them.  Read the list of default link types and just think through what they mean. 

To get you started on that thought, take the case of "AAA-5566 is a duplicate of BBB-123".  I deliberately close AAA-5566 because it's a duplicate.  There's no chance I want BBB-123 to be closed because I've closed a duplicate - the whole point of what I'm doing is BBB-123 stays open!

Makes total sense, just making sure before I start linking my stories

I think it's about 99:1 - in 99% of cases, you don't want a change to update the other end of a link.  In 1% of cases, you do.  Because of that ratio, there's nothing in JIRA that will do it, but plenty of add-ons that can if you do need it (and those all enable some form of "if X, then update other end of link)

This widget could not be displayed.

It tells inward and outward description of the link types. See <your host machine>->admin->System->Issue Features->Issue Linking

Go through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Linking

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

297 views 1 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you