duplicates vs duplicated by

Yvonne W December 2, 2013

What's the difference between duplicates and duplicated by options provided for ticket linking ?

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

Nothing, other than which issue is which.

Links are directional, which is why you have two descriptions for each link type - from one end of the link "X duplicates Y" and from the other end, "Y is duplicated by X". It's telling you which one was the original in that case.

Yvonne W December 2, 2013

So, in this case Y is the original one right?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

Yes.

I find the language on links to be clumsy. "X (original) is duplicated by Y (new one)" feels a bit contrived, but I have not really come up with a better sentence to make it more clear.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2014

It's also worth mentioning https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24563...

Ihab Soliman February 15, 2016

Does that mean that if I update the status of one of them the other status will update to reflect the same ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2016

Absolutely not, that would be an utter disaster for most links.  Links are for information about how two issues are related.  What you're asking for here does make sense in some cases, but not in most of them.  Read the list of default link types and just think through what they mean. 

To get you started on that thought, take the case of "AAA-5566 is a duplicate of BBB-123".  I deliberately close AAA-5566 because it's a duplicate.  There's no chance I want BBB-123 to be closed because I've closed a duplicate - the whole point of what I'm doing is BBB-123 stays open!

Like TT likes this
Ihab Soliman February 15, 2016

Makes total sense, just making sure before I start linking my stories

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2016

I think it's about 99:1 - in 99% of cases, you don't want a change to update the other end of a link.  In 1% of cases, you do.  Because of that ratio, there's nothing in JIRA that will do it, but plenty of add-ons that can if you do need it (and those all enable some form of "if X, then update other end of link)

Raj Vora May 14, 2019

Hi!  So based on the following example:

X (original) is duplicated by Y (new one)

I want to close out Y obviously, but what if Y has some additional and useful information like, lets say, debug data that X doesn't have.

1.  Can I automatically merge any of the info in Y into X?  Or do you suggest good old copy and paste.

2.  How do I make Y read-only?  I don't want other people adding to Y when they should being adding it to X.  I want to eliminate multiple streams of information.

Like # people like this
aju.jayapalan March 10, 2020

I go into the original ticket "X" and select "Link Issue" > "is duplicated by" > "Y" (new ticket)
Then I access "Y" --> It lists "X" as one of the "duplicates"

Is that the expected behavior since "Y" should be listed as the "duplicate"?

Joseph Michaud October 9, 2020

I think there is an unfortunate choice of defaults for the Inward and Outward descriptions for "Duplicate" link type.  In the link that Bharadwaj Jannu shows earlier:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Linking

I think the "Duplicate" relationship has the Inward and Outward descriptions (erroneously) reversed.

Let's say we're dealing with one bug and four testers (A, B, C, and D).  Tester A reports the bug first (bug A).  The next day testers B, C, and D report the same issue (bugs B, C, and D).  Bug A is central and B, C, and D are satellites.  In this star configuration, bug A has outward links to bugs B, C, and D (and B, C, and D have inward links to A).  On bug A's JIRA page I would expect to see an "Issue links" section titled "is duplicated by" and then the list containing B, C, and D.  I would read that as "A is duplicated by B, A is duplicated by C,...".  "is duplicated by" is listed as the "Inward description" not the "Outward description" (but I think that is backwards).  On bug B's page, I would expect to see a "duplicates" section listing bug A and read that as "B duplicates A."

(As a comparison, pretend now that we're dealing with libraries and library A (Issue A) depends on libraries B, C, and D.  In issue A's JIRA page I would expect to see an "Issue links" section titled "depends on" and then the list containing B, C, and D.  On their pages, B, C, and D would each have a section titled "is depended on by" and listing issue A.  This seems correct to me.)

I think part of the problem is that it is easy to see a "duplicates" section and think "here is a list of other issues that duplicate this one".  But "duplicates" is not meant to be a noun here . . . it is a verb.

0 votes
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2013

It tells inward and outward description of the link types. See <your host machine>->admin->System->Issue Features->Issue Linking

Go through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Linking

Suggest an answer