duplicate description field

Russ Watson-Thomas November 15, 2016

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, Multiline text edit custom fields suck.

Firstly, I can't seem to find a way to stop them being collapsable

Secondly I can't seem to find a way to change the order in the issue screen (I'd like them after description)

Thirdly, the styling is terrible.

Ideally what I'd like is to copy the default description field a few times, add those to the issue screen and then allow me to maintain the same look and feel of description.

Anyone got any ideas? (I've also not found a plugin that can do this, I assume I have to edit the default templates/properties etc in the JIRA config itself, rather than any kind of custom field)

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2016

You'd need to write your own version of them to solve points 1 and 3. 

Point 2 would require coding in the core of JIRA, as the issue view pulls things out into panels - date/time, users, time-tracking, remaining system fields (including description) etc, and then the custom fields get their own section.

Russ Watson-Thomas November 15, 2016

Ok, the good thing is not impossible smile

Do you know of any resources I can look at to get a handle on making these changes. Luckily, I'm a little tech handy so I can probably duplicate and amend the templates without causing to much trouble. The coding a new custom field type might be the same kind of thing (I could steal the current description code from core and make a new custom field from that or something).

Happy to play when I know what I'm looking at laugh

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2016

I'd start at https://developer.atlassian.com/index.html to get a feel for it.  For 1 and 3, look for writing your own custom field add-on.

I would not try to hack the core code though, that way lies madness (and zero supportability and difficult upgrades)

Suggest an answer