difference between "worklogAuthor" and "assignee"

Asanka Garusinghe May 10, 2019

I need to get a pure clarifications about two fields called worklogAuthor and Assignee. When I'm using JQL, sometimes, I am unable to get expected results using worklogAuthor. but assignee does. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

Hello @Asanka Garusinghe 

Assignee means the person to whom the issue is assigned and workLogAuthor is the person to logs works on the issue i.e. Time spent on the issue can be logged by 10 people and each of them will be workLogAuthor but assignee can only be 1 person for each issue in jira.

thanks for the reply @Tarun Sapra 

what could be the main reason of getting two different results when I'm using advance searching for worklogs with below mentioned json parameters.

This one returns data. 
{
"jql":"assignee = chinthaka AND worklogDate >= '2019-04-01' AND worklogDate <= '2019-04-30'"
}

But this doesn't return anything. 

{
"jql":"worklogAuthor = chinthaka AND worklogDate >= '2019-04-01' AND worklogDate <= '2019-04-30'"
}

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

Both are different queries

First one gets the issues which have assignee "chinthaka" and work was logged on the issues b/w the specified dates.

Second one tries to get issues which had work logged b/w the mentioned dates and the also on the issues the user "chinthaka" has logged work but not necessarily between the worklogDates mentioned.

Like Asanka Garusinghe likes this

thanks. @Tarun Sapra 

but however, we have an issue of getting worklogs for that corresponded user even he has logged his times in jira between aforementioned date period. 

once I'm consuming /api/2/issue/{issuekey}/worklog  with specific issuekey, we have the response something like this for author. 

"author": {
"name": "addon_is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin",
"key": "addon_is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin", .... }

is there something going wrong? 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2019
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2019

I am using tempo 9.x and I don't have this issue, I see the username in the author name and not the ""addon_is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin"

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2019

Hi @Asanka Garusinghe  and @Tarun Sapra 

This is a Cloud specific problem and does not happen on the Server version.

When worklogs on Cloud are created in Tempo, the information is synced to the JIRA database. JIRA displays worklogs in several places and this might break the permission settings in Tempo. Therefore the worklogAuthor and worklog description information is not synced to JIRA. All worklogs show as having been made by Tempo Timesheets (addon_is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin is the Tempo Timesheets system user).

To retrieve information about the worklog owner, please use the Tempo REST API. Please take a look at  https://tempo-io.github.io/tempo-api-docs/ for more information.

Regards,
Susanne Götz
Tempo team

Asanka Garusinghe May 13, 2019

Thank You @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ 

Currently, I'm accessing JIRA Rest API with generated basic authentication header with email and JIRA api token. (Referred this: - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/api-tokens-938839638.html)

are we able to use same approach for Tempo REST API? 

Susanne Götz _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2019

Hi @Asanka Garusinghe ,

Tempo REST calls require a OAuth 2.0 token. When using the Tempo REST API as an individual user, this token can be generated in Tempo, Settings, API Integration. Authentication needs to be done via bearer token, f.x:

curl -v -H "Authorization: Bearer ${token}" "https://api.tempo.io/core/3/worklogs

When using the Tempo Servlet ( which is designed for machine to machine communication), the Tempo Access token is required. This token is listed in Tempo, Settings, External Systems Token. This token needs to be added to the URL.

Regards,
Susanne

0 votes
Cristina Maria Rodrigues Garcia Araújo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2023

Hello @Susanne Götz _Tempo_ ,

We are using Tempo Timesheets to store the Worklogs logged in JIRA.

When importing Worklogs with Power BI Connector, the WorklogAuthor is correct for issues in JSM project and issues in a project with XRay, but for issues in a JSW Project the Worklog Author is always "Tempo Timesheet". Why is that difference?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Cristina Araújo

Susan Wu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2024

Hi @Cristina Maria Rodrigues Garcia Araújo ,

You can see the differences in this KB for Jira worklogs and Tempo worklogs.

https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/488931333/Why+do+the+Jira+worklogs+appear+with+the+author+Tempo+Timesheets+instead+of+the+user+s+name

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Susan Wu
Tempo Product Expert

Suggest an answer