difference between 'depends on' and ' is a dependent of'

Sowmya Natarajan August 19, 2019

While linking issues, what is the difference between 'depends on' and ' is a dependent of'

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2019

`Dependency` is directional link.  So if,

ISSUE-1 ----> ISSUE-2

Here,

• ISSUE-1 depends on ISSUE-2, and
  • ISSUE-2 is a dependent of ISSUE-1.
nayanageddam February 12, 2021

It does not make sense to me. A child depends on a Parent for example. A child still is a dependent of the Parent.

What is the relationship from the direction of Parent to the child?

Like garry.hahn likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

parent --> child is done via say Task --> sub-task

linking is not the same IMO as parent --> child

In my mind when I link issue I am using like "relates to" just to show two tasks are in some manner related or "blocks" says this item blocks that item and conversely that item is blocked by this item.

with Parent --> Child (Task --> Sub-task) the Task "consists" of all of the underlying sub-tasks so that the Task isn't complete until all sub-tasks are complete. 

but again regarding 'depends on' and ' is a dependent of' these are not default link types.

Like # people like this
Steve Enriquez February 14, 2023

Jack's comment is the most correct.  Atlassian descriptions could include these default link descriptions to avoid confusion.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2019

those don't appear to be default link values and I would say they mean the same thing. I expect someone added these so I might suggest researching that possibility and if true ask them.

Sowmya Natarajan August 19, 2019

Thank you will look into it.

Suggest an answer