default issue type not set, but jira is still picking an issue type when I create an issue (Jira 5.2.4)

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Hi,

I want users to *not* get a pre-selected issue type when creating an issue -- I know it is a required field, but I want the initial selection to be "None" or "Please Select"... or something similar.

I don't have a default value set in the Issue Type Scheme.

Is there a way to do this? Seems like there should -- I don't want people picking incorrect issue types because they are automatically picked.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Hi Bryan,

JIRA pick the last issue type the user have choosen. I'm afrid the only way we can modify it is via customization.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Okay -- they which velocity field do I tweak? I see information on how to remove None from a drop down -- but none saying how to enforce it.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Okay -- then do you know which velocity field I'd tweak? I see information on how to remove 'None' from a drop down -- but nothing saying how to enforce 'None' in a drop-down.

Adri August 28, 2014

So in that case the default issue type field in the issue type scheme is pointless, right? I tried to do a workaround, so I created new issue type named "Unknown" with an empty screen (yes no field on it), set that as default. At first create issue action, the issue type Unknown will be used forcing the user to pick the issue type needed. Unfortunatelly, that works just once, because user will see last used issue type in the next "create issue" instead of default one!! So, as I said in the beginning, default issue type field it is pointless. This is a 100% application bug!

Deleted user August 28, 2014

So in that case the default issue type field in the issue type scheme is pointless, right? I tried to do a workaround, so I created new issue type named "Unknown" with an empty screen (yes no field on it), set that as default. At first create issue action, the issue type Unknown will be used forcing the user to pick the issue type needed. Unfortunatelly, that works just once, because user will see last used issue type in the next "create issue" instead of default one!! So, as I said in the beginning, default issue type field it is pointless. This is a 100% application bug!

3 votes
Andrew Hancox August 20, 2013

This is a really big problem for me. We filter issue types to different teams and right now people don't pay attention when creating the issue. Having a default type of None would solve this problem.

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2014

We also have this issue. Defaults are good but they also have users not paying attention and just accepting what is on the screen.

Suggest an answer