ctrl+ f does not work

Zuzana Prochazkova September 13, 2023

Hello everyone, the simple search via ctrl + f in the backlog stopped working, it's very annoying. Does it work for you? Is it u bug?

Thanks! 

6 answers

2 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Kazarian September 27, 2023

This is killing me. Before the Jira update, I could Control F in the browser to find jira issues. This allowed me to easily find items in the backlog so that I can drag them around. When I use the built in search bar, I can find the Jira issue, but I can't drag it around because the search results are only showing the item I searched for.

Zuzana Prochazkova October 24, 2023

Yep, exactly!! This is the context of my problem! 

Like # people like this
Stef de Melo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2023

Same here!  I find it nearly impossible to prioritize tasks from my 400+ sprint!

Like # people like this
Andy Potteau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 23, 2024

Same problem here, i hope they can fix this really fast ! 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2023

Hi all! I'm a product manager working on the new board and backlog in Jira Software. The crl-f/cmd-f browser function won't work on the new board and backlog like it did on the old board and backlog. This is down to how content is rendered on the screen. Instead, you must use the search filter situated on the left of the filter bar. Once you find your issue you can use the card action menu to take some common actions. And if you need to change the ranking of an issue - when you clear the filter, the topmost selected issue will stay in focus. Let us know your thoughts. Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Eoin , is this a temporary work around based on this earlier mentioned bug? JSWCLOUD-25592

Monica Morris October 24, 2023

@Eoin IThe expected behavior you described does not seem to be working.

In the enhanced backlog view, I cannot use Ctrl+F to find an issue unless it's already visible on the page.

So, like you have suggested here, I used the Search filter and that pulled up the issue. But since I want to see that issue with all the other issues around it (not alone!), I selected the issue (checked the little box on the left side of the issue) and then cleared the Search filter, but my view changed to show the top of the Sprint that issue was in - which meant I still could not see my issue, could not use Ctrl+F to find the issue, and had to just scroll and scroll until my eyes saw the issue I had selected. 

Am I doing something wrong? How am I supposed to quickly find an issue in a long Backlog without being forced to see the issue alone? Surely several clicks + scrolling + using my eyes cannot be the answer! 

Like # people like this
Zuzana Prochazkova October 25, 2023

Thank you @Jack Brickey , i have just started watching this issue. Thanks! 

Jonathan Kazarian October 25, 2023

That is not an acceptable solution.  This issue is a major regression for the most common activity I do in Jira. Sorting issues.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Kazarian October 25, 2023

If you have 500 issues in your backlog and select the 1 issue from your search, you now need to scroll to find that 1 issue that stayed selected. Horrible. 

Like # people like this
Shelly Clinton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 29, 2023

I agree, this solution to use the built in search and not have the option to drag the issue in the backlog is pointless.  The backlog is expected to be managed to drag tickets based on the priority.  A Spreadsheet is more helpful than the Jira backlog w/out the ability to "Find" the ticket then move it in the backlog other than the top/bottom of the backlog.  I should have the option to move my ticket to top/bottom of the backlog, active Sprint (currently exists), or if I have a Feature or Backlog Separator (I should have the option to move my ticket into it from the (...) on the issue.  The dragging should only need to take place within the active sprint or feature/backlog separator to prioritize. I have not heard anyone enjoy dragging an issue through the backlog especially through a large backlog.

Like # people like this
Stef de Melo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 5, 2023

Kill off the lazy loading so we can properly CTRL F and prioritize tasks.  This is super annoying, or at least allow us to switch back to the old version.

Like # people like this
Seaver Lam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 5, 2023

Could you at least provide the toggle for 'Enhance my board and backlog' again so we can turn off the new view as a workaround? Echoing what others are saying. Your super users will use hot-keys and not your search widgets. Forcing us to use your search bar when ctrl-f is more efficient cuts down productivity. 

Like # people like this
Stefan Draber January 18, 2024

Hi @Eoin

I can only confirm what @Monica Morris described here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Re-Re-ctrl-f-does-not-work/qaq-p/2514980/comment-id/631749#M631749

Even though the proposed go-to way (enter search term in the filter bar, then select the ticket, then clear the filter again) would be ridicolously bad and non-intuitive enough, it simply doesn't work. The selected ticket does not remain selected after clearing the filter again.

Please. fix that urgently and if somehow possible, bring back the Ctrl + F search functionality.

Like # people like this
Michael_ Janine February 1, 2024

Yes, please bring back the Ctrl + F search functionality as soon as possible, as this is a big big impediment!

Like Matyáš Leiský likes this
Matyáš Leiský
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 11, 2024

@Eoin ,

PLEASE bring back the Ctrl+F function as soon as you understand how big of a problem this is! (pray). It still isn't working and it is annoying for the whole community, as you can see. It makes the new jira version even more useless, jumbled and confusing than before. The tool itself is super difficult, over-engineered, heavy and unfriendly to use. CX is horrible and not worth the money IMO and cutting away such basal (and much needed!) function is a big mistake (again, my opinion).
I could understand that it was a mistake to develop the front end/loading window in such way, that it no longer works, but I suggest reverting to the old version and work out a way to get the function back into the new version meanwhile as well.
I am not sure if you understood our problem thoroughly because your advice/answer solves it not. So I will try to explain to you, how important this core function is for regular users.
You may know that the search bar works differently. It searches through all the tasks. So it's useful, but for a completely different case.
We simply NEED to be able to find the specific task by its name or number/ID on the board in an active sprint, backlog or in an actual/active window in general. That is how we work every day and in pretty much ANY other tool/software we possibly use. And not only we use the "Find" function pretty much everywhere else, so it's killing us with annoyance that we cannot use it in jira, but it makes our job difficult to do in the way we need. Every day, we need to be fast, productive and able to multitask. 
To manage our tasks, boards, sprints, long lists in backlog and our people or the whole companies, we simply need to be able to see what is going on where, find and highlight exactly where it is on that ACTUAL PAGE and then work with it (opening, moving, renaming and more). We even need to see the potential duplicities!

Here, you have the feedback from the community of managers, scrum masters and daily heavy users of your software that should work for us, not against.
Please consider it and consider finding the way to bring the "Find" function back. I believe it can be done.
(I suggest adding a new function/second (floating) searchbar - "find and highlight on actual page," at least. That should be possible to integrate into the new front end, I think.)

And if this is outside of your competence, please let me know to who I can escalate it to make it work. 

Thank you.

Matyas Leisky

Like # people like this
Ross Dickinson April 23, 2024

Will we be getting proper ctrl+f functionality back any time soon? I can't see any reason to add virtualized scrolling to this view except for poor rendering performance for people with tens of thousands of tickets in their backlog.

2 votes
Andy Potteau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 23, 2024

We have the same problem over here. CTRL-F was really fast to find and sort a ticket. Please help to restore this option.

0 votes
Aistė Stikliūtė June 21, 2024

The suggested workaround to use the search field then clear it works for me, but makes it super cumbersome, and I had to Google it to find the way to do it. Do you expect all our Jira users to do that, instead of just allowing to use the default browser functionality?

And this is for months. I used the old board for as long as I could because of this, hoping it would be fixed soon, and here I find that it will not?! Are you trying to make people find some working method where all board backlog would be of <30 issues, or simply stop using Jira?

0 votes
Niels de Feyter October 3, 2023

If you disable "Enhance my board and backlog" ctrl-F works again.

Jonathan Kazarian October 4, 2023

I was hoping to use the `enhanced board and backlog`. It seems a lot faster, but without ctrl-F, I am wasting a ton of time dragging items around. 

Like # people like this
AJ Jalali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 13, 2023

Thank you, this fixed my issue.

Shelly Clinton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 29, 2023

Where is this option?  I use to have the option when clicking on (...) in the backlog, but I no longer have the option to turn it off.  I was excited to use the enhanced board & backlog as well, until I could no longer use Ctl+F.  Without Ctl+F, Jira is useless to manage the backlog, I can manage it in a spreadsheet faster since I can search for tickets

Like AJ Jalali likes this
AJ Jalali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 29, 2023

It looks like they removed this option and are forcing users to use the new view. It was working for me until the other day. I don't know why removed the ability for users to choose for themselves.

Like Andy Potteau likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2023

Hi @Zuzana Prochazkova , welcome to the Community. ctrl+f is an OS feature not specific to Jira. I also wonder if it might be browser specific. Which browser an OS are you using? Can you try a different browser? Can you ask another user to try it out on their computer? Can you attempt ctrl+f on a web page other than Jira?

@Jack Brickey please see my comment above.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

@Jonathan Kazarian , what am I missing?

OS = Mac Ventura 13.5.2

Browser = Safari

using CMD+F

2023-09-27_14-30-28.jpg

@Jack Brickey check this vidoe. I'm using Chrome Version 116.0.5845.187 on a Mac running 13.5.2

- https://www.loom.com/share/65cc8b1b839b455e8fd52b9e65575b26?sid=40494a0a-caf6-479e-9926-a8ef44844ba6

Like malhar_r likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

ok. So I'm trying to understand the difference is here. You're using chrome however I tested with chrome and it worked OK for me. Now I was originally testing with a company managed project but I also just tested with a team managed project and it worked. Is your video based on a CMP scrum backlog? I noted that the layout looks different and more like a TMP.

It would be interesting if you would try a different browser and maybe a different project as well. Finally it could certainly be that your current version of Jira is different than mine. Likely worth reporting to Atlassian support.

Where can I check the Jira version and if the backlog is a team managed or company managed backlog?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2023

You can't check version unfortunately. The project type is in lower left corner

Jonathan Kazarian September 28, 2023

I'm using a Company Managed Project.

Romy Newbold
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 17, 2023

@Jack Brickey

@Jonathan Kazarian

It only works if the issue is visible on the page, so if you're working in a project with a lot of issues in the backlog, but the issue is not currently visible on the page, and attempt to use CTRL/CMD+F to find the issue, the browser Find will locate 0/0 results. Issue appears to be reported here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25592

Hopefully this bug will be prioritized soon since workaround of disabling the enhanced board will not be available starting 10/25.

Like # people like this
Patrick Nichols
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 19, 2023

Our Product Owners just noticed this issue-  it's going to be a big problem for people with deep backlogs-    This issues is only visible if you're trying to search for something off of the screen.  I suppose you can zoom out to 10% to ensure that you're seeing the entire backlog before conducting your search... but,Please prioritize this fix!- 

Like # people like this
Romy Newbold
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 20, 2023

@Patrick Nichols Make sure to vote on the bug report! (click "this affects my team") https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25592

Mike Kane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 10, 2024

I mainly used CTRL-F to search my list of Epics in the Backlog view. Now I can only search the Epics that are visible on the screen and the "Search backlog" feature only searches Issues, not Epics. Is there a workaround for searching my list of Epics without CTRL-F? Without CTRL-F I now have to manually scroll my long list of Epics until I visually find the one I am looking for.

rob-hodges
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 10, 2024

It's nearly the one-year anniversary of this issue and so I suppose there's little hope that this will ever be fixed.  It's telling that so many people (3198 views on this issue) must search the web and come here to find out how to do a thing they already knew how to do with their web browser on every other web page.  But apparently Atlassian know best!  

Like Romy Newbold likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events