creating stories under Epic

Venkat Venkatnarayan July 21, 2015

10 answers

21 votes
Sam Davidson January 31, 2019

unbelievable how hard and non-intuitive it is to create a new story. really honestly amazing.

Pablo Sanchez March 1, 2019

I stumbled upon this forum with the same frustration. Jira, stop trying to be Agile, it's not gonna happen. This is one of the worst user experiencies I've gone through. I wish my company had chosen a different tool. 

Like # people like this
ernesto.andreakis January 9, 2020

Oh, so it wasn't just me

LOL

ernesto.andreakis January 9, 2020

Oh I actually figured it out.

Everything starts with an issue on the backlog. An issue is like a story/epic and then it can be broken into smaller stories or tasks.

Play with it and then everything is easy.

ernesto.andreakis June 5, 2020

Ended up here again after a few months not using it.

I have to agree, it is not intuitive

5 votes
Benedikt Rossgardt November 18, 2018

In the new version they seem to just have removed it.

Currently you need to rely on the modal editor for creating issues. Seems like they simply ignored some very basic feature in that screen... I wonder how a product manager can miss that.

Jon Watte November 19, 2018

So, I still have this problem, and as you suggest, the UI doesn't seem to help me (in fact, it seems to hurt, compared to this question.)

Can we get a real answer from someone at @[deleted]?

Like # people like this
Matthew Wedel November 30, 2018

Previous to the new UI update, an Epic would have a plus sign for adding a user story, the refresh seems to have removed it entirely.  As far as I can tell, there is no menu within the Epic to add a story.  While nonsensical, you can click in the top right and use the old view to add a story to an epic, which is how I've been working around this.

Does this not fall under the adage "a bad joke is like a bad UI, if you have to explain it to someone it's probably not very good"?

@Atlassian are we missing something here?  Is this being tracked elsewhere as a defect or feature request?

Like # people like this
Ivan Vynychenko January 22, 2019

@[deleted] just  ignored this.    where is our "+" button under Epic issue ?

Like # people like this
Emilio Medina Arribas March 26, 2019

@[deleted] please bring the button back!

Like # people like this
4 votes
Jon Watte April 26, 2019

All of the work-arounds suggested are terrible.

I mean, I appreciate people who suggest that "here's how you can contort your workflow to achieve the end goal," but that's not the point here. The point is that it used to be reasonable to create an epic and document the stores as the team breaks them down in real time; with the additional work flow contortions, the ability to keep up and not bog down the discussion is gone.

We've switched to Notion instead of Confluence+JIRA for our workflows, and while it's a much less mature product, at least it doesn't actively remove crucial features and workflows.

3 votes
Andrew.Jurga April 3, 2019

Option 1

From the JIRA toolbar on the left click on the "+" icon which opens a new window labelled "Create Issue". The "Issue Type" filed list various type of issues such as: Task, Story, Bug, Epic. Select "Story", add the title in the Summary field and click on Create button.

Option 2

If you have a backlog created then click on the EPIC to list all the EPICs. Select the EPIC you want to work on. Click on the small arrow next to the EPIC title.  The EPIC title will expand and one of the options will be "Create issue in epic". Click on that one and the new pop-up window will open to "Create Issue". Select "Story" in the Issue Type field, add the title in the Summary field and click on Create button.

Pablo Sanchez April 26, 2019

Thank you Andrew

Mahi Nandigam August 21, 2019

This worked. I believe Task, User story, Epic and Bug are types of issues. 

So when you click "+" you can add an issues and choose a type

John Stvan October 1, 2019

The biggest complaint I have is that when you hit "+" to create a new user story, you have to then go to the main board of the Epics and add it as an issue instead of just being able to set a field in the story as 'Create as an issue of:" or "create as child of:".

2 votes
picco-nation April 2, 2019

A work-around for Jira Software, Version 8

1. Create the sub-task within the Epic
  2. Enter the sub-task
  3. Under More, select 'Convert to Issue'
  4. In the 'wizard', select 'Story' as the type of issue.
  5. Next, next, finish
Emilio Medina Arribas April 3, 2019

I can't see the option "More" you mention. If I try to change the issue type using the icon I get this menu that does not allow me to change it.

Captura.PNG

1 vote
Mingyue Xie September 28, 2019

In my case, go to Roadmap, then there should be a list of epic, click the epic, then there is a detailed panel shown on the left, click "add child issue", "choosing an existing..."  then you can add an issue under an epic.

bwe September 28, 2019

Thank you very much for you reply!

My frustration is with Atlassian, as it seems they are out-of-touch with what users are doing and the decrease the value of jira by breaking features.

In any case, if you try to do agile with jira is is one of the worst tools, as the core of jira is a support ticket system. Still today the product has no understanding what "Epic" or "Story" means and the way a Sprint is handled is just broken in many ways. 

To be clear: i love working with jira as it gives me deep insights in what is going on in the scrum team and i love to create custom reports etc. I also hate the company for not pushing harder to make the product better.

Example: try to switch from the burndown chart to the sprint backlog. 7 clicks and you can get lost on the way; or have 2 tabs open. The UX is just sooo painfully broken :(

1 vote
Bernhard Welzel July 16, 2019

Atlassian i wonder what is driving this change to make the user interface less usable with every new release. 

WHY does you UX team hates your user so much? WHY do you build an interface that is significant harder to user than the previous version? Do you belief it is an "improvement"? Do you belief you "know" how we should use your product "in the right way?". Seriously. 

How do you make this decisions? Watch people use jira and then take away features that where to useful and replace it with an UX that is confusing and hard to navigate in order to maximize the pain?

1 vote
Mark Winspear April 24, 2019

This is terrible. Bring back the "Add child story" ability when viewing an Epic!

1 vote
Marlon Grawer July 22, 2015

Hello Venkat,

I assume you need some help with creating stories under Epics, so there we go! First, go to your Backlog page. Then in the Backlog, follow these steps.

1.  Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
  2. Click Backlog.
  3. If the Epic panel is not shown at the left of the screen, select Tools > Show Epic Panel.
  4. In the Epic panel, hover over the epic then click the triangle at the left of the epic name to display the epic details.
  5. Click Create issue/Story in epic at the bottom of the epic details in the Epic panel.

Hope this helps you out. If you want additional info, you may refer to this [link|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Adding+an+Issue+to+an+Epic]

Regards,

Marlon

Jon Watte August 20, 2018

There is no "create issue/story in epic" in the Epic details panel in the Backlog for my project. (I'm using hosted JIRA, so whatever version is active today.)

Like Ivan Vynychenko likes this
Joe Privett September 26, 2018

Same here - I can create a sub-task, but the option for Story is not there.

Like # people like this
Pablo Sanchez March 1, 2019

Epic panel doesn't show up, neither Show Epic Panel.

I have 2 boards (Kanban and Scum), turns out I had to go back to the Scrum one to find the panel and then add the Story into the Epic. Hopefully this will help anyone else with the same problem.

Deleted user April 25, 2019

It looks like this has been enabled in a weird roundabout way. 

In your backlog, you can select an Epic to sort by. Here, you can add stories freely to an Epic.

Why this is not in the Epic details beat me.  I don't really understand the UX design here, when people were happy to use a more efficient way of getting stories added to an Epic through its own panel/page.

Like Fernando Embrioni likes this
0 votes
Tim Garlick October 21, 2019

I created some stories for a new project and then created an epic later in which I wanted to put the existing stories. It wasn't obvious, but I finally figured out that I could select individual stories on the Backlog page and then use the ... menu to "Add parent" and select the new epic. This was tedious, but at least I only had six stories/issues so far. The interface would be much better if we could just drag and drop the issues into an epic, or else have a drop-down menu in the details field for each story. M experience thus far is that performing bulk actions like this is not easy at all.

Suggest an answer