creating stories under Epic

2 answers

In the new version they seem to just have removed it.

Currently you need to rely on the modal editor for creating issues. Seems like they simply ignored some very basic feature in that screen... I wonder how a product manager can miss that.

Jon Watte I'm New Here Nov 19, 2018

So, I still have this problem, and as you suggest, the UI doesn't seem to help me (in fact, it seems to hurt, compared to this question.)

Can we get a real answer from someone at @atlassian?

Like 1 person likes this

Previous to the new UI update, an Epic would have a plus sign for adding a user story, the refresh seems to have removed it entirely.  As far as I can tell, there is no menu within the Epic to add a story.  While nonsensical, you can click in the top right and use the old view to add a story to an epic, which is how I've been working around this.

Does this not fall under the adage "a bad joke is like a bad UI, if you have to explain it to someone it's probably not very good"?

@Atlassian are we missing something here?  Is this being tracked elsewhere as a defect or feature request?

Like 2 people like this

Hello Venkat,

I assume you need some help with creating stories under Epics, so there we go! First, go to your Backlog page. Then in the Backlog, follow these steps.

1.  Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
  2. Click Backlog.
  3. If the Epic panel is not shown at the left of the screen, select Tools > Show Epic Panel.
  4. In the Epic panel, hover over the epic then click the triangle at the left of the epic name to display the epic details.
  5. Click Create issue/Story in epic at the bottom of the epic details in the Epic panel.

Hope this helps you out. If you want additional info, you may refer to this [link|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Adding+an+Issue+to+an+Epic]

Regards,

Marlon

Jon Watte I'm New Here Aug 20, 2018

There is no "create issue/story in epic" in the Epic details panel in the Backlog for my project. (I'm using hosted JIRA, so whatever version is active today.)

Same here - I can create a sub-task, but the option for Story is not there.

Like 3 people like this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Jan 08, 2019 in Jira

How to Jira for designers

I’m a designer on the Jira team. For a long time, I’ve fielded questions from other designers about how they should be using Jira Software with their design team. I’ve also heard feedback from other ...

1,097 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you