creating issues and comments from email

Is there a way to ensure that comments/updates are added to existing issues versus having a new issue created every time a comment is made? The handler that I have selected is "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" – is there another handler that I should be using?

The attached screenshot highlights that Bug #22 has 11 separate instances.. Help!

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 1.11.18 PM.png

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

You need the email subjects to contain the issue id.  Bug #22 is just a string that doesn't mean a lot to JIRA.  If your users had included PROD-36 in the subject, it would be able to match them to the issue.

This widget could not be displayed.

Is there a recommended best practice to mitigate duplicates since this will be used by customers as well as sales teams?

Always refer to issues by their JIRA id, not some arbitrary number that doesn't mean anything to JIRA.

Also, Tim, if you set up your notification schemes correctly, if your users reply to the notifications, the subject should contain the issue key and a comment should be created instead of an issue.

For internal teams that makes sense, but how would a customer know what JIRA id to input? The customer piece is where I'm getting hung up. Does that make sense?

Yes. But where does the customer get "bug 22" from? If they're inventing numbers, you're likely to be a bit stuck at first, but you could change the procedure of feedback - "Thanks for raising your bug 22, we have it logged as PROD-34"

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

105 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you