creating dependent tickets across projects. creating status dependency between tickets.

Nariman Riahi September 21, 2011

We have fixes in one project that affect another projject. For this purpose we create linked tickets. One in project A and one in project B. I like to make status change of ticket in project A casue the change of status of ticket in project B.

This seems like an issue that happens in any software development team. Anyone has a solution for me?

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2011

I don't know of anything out of the box for this but if you don't mind doing a bit of development then here are some suggestions:

1) Use a listener to listen for an event that you trigger in your workflow when you want to move on another issue.

2) Write a custom post-function to transition an issue linked with a specified link type to the current issue.

3) Set up a filter to find issues that need moving on (you might need to get imaginative - the linkedIssues JQL function might help here or try a plugin like the JQL Functions or JQL Tricks plugins to join together Project A tickets in one status to Project B tickets in a status that needs moving on) and create a Jelly Service to update the issues returned by the filter.

0 votes
Matthew Hall September 3, 2013

This issue is causing me BIG problems keeping track of dependencies of one ticket on other tickets for different components of the same software codebase. Is there any progress on solving this problem since 2011?

0 votes
Nariman Riahi September 22, 2011

I understand the workflow may be different fro the ticket in project B. My question is that how is Atlassian solving this issues which i assume is a common one in ANY software development house.

You have a Platform project and an application project. App team asks for features from platform team. How do you manage the dependancies properly? (not doing a one-off solution though).

Linking tickets alone does not do the job fully. One has to look into every linked ticket on other project to figure out the status of the linked ticket.

Any ideas?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2011

There is code that handles this for subtasks already written, but bear in mind that ticket in project B may have a completely different workflow, it may not have a similar valid action for the current step etc etc. What do you think should happen in that case?

Nariman Riahi September 22, 2011

understand the workflow may be different fro the ticket in project B. My question is that how is Atlassian solving this issues which i assume is a common one in ANY software development house.

You have a Platform project and an application project. App team asks for features from platform team. How do you manage the dependancies properly? (not doing a one-off solution though).

Linking tickets alone does not do the job fully. One has to look into every linked ticket on other project to figure out the status of the linked ticket.

Any ideas?

Suggest an answer