create ticket from email in jira?

chandra bhushan May 27, 2018

i have few question with regards to creating ticket from email:

1.can we configure two different project with same mail id to create tickets?

2.how to configure jira for creating tickets specifically for few emails related to project and ignore other mail recieved by mail server?

please suggest me to achieve this requirement?

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2018

Hello,

1. You can use imap folders. You will have a single mail box but several imap folders. Then you create rules in the exchange server, which would copy mail from the inbox folder to your custom folders. Then you setup mail handler for the folders you created.

2. The approach above will let you do it.

chandra bhushan May 28, 2018

@Alexey Matveev Imap folder can be configured from handler ??

since i am new to jira can you please explain how to  defined rules in the exchange server ?

Like Ignacio A likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2018

You define rules for the exchange server in Exchange itself. Here is more info:

https://www.codetwo.com/kb/how-to-create-in-outlook-a-rule-moving-mail-to-a-specified-folder/

chandra bhushan May 29, 2018

jira.PNG

@Alexey Matveev i created IMAP folder and definded the exchange server rules now i got the error show in above image. can you please help me how it can be resolve?

@Alexey Matveev after creating IMAP folder does it creates folder locally? 

jira mail handler is trying to find the folder locally under jira home/import/mail?

which is not present at the location .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2018

It looks like you've given it a directory name, rather than the name of the IMAP folder.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- suppose i have created IMAP folder called projectjira.

i have mentioned same in handler.  i am confused like folder which i have created is inside outlook and how jira is hooking up with outlook?jira1.PNG

above image is how mentioned the IMAP folder during handler creation.

now can you suggest where i am going wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2018

No, that is not a IMAP folder. 

You have set the email handler to look for physical text files on the Jira server.  That has nothing to do with an email server (unless you've got a local incoming mailbox that stores mail in that way, which is typically done by "mail" programs on unix boxes, or you have set up something in your mail server to do an export to file when it arrives)

Go back to the handler and change it back to looking for email on an IMAP server.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

Open the Server field on your screen. There must be IMAP mail servers. If they are not there, then you have to create an IMAP email server in the POP / IMAP Mail Servers section.

@Alexey Matveev In case of this handler "

"Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" 

if somebody is sending mail with attachment how ticket will be created? is the ticket created upload the attachment as well? how the behaviour will be ?

1 vote
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

Hi @chandra bhushan,

We can be able to configure one mail ID for a different project and in one project with different issue type as well.

If you configure one mail ID with a different project then how mail handler will know in which project he needs to create jira ticket?

If you configure one mail ID with a different project then how mail handler will know in which project he needs to create jira ticket?

chandra bhushan

@Yogesh Mude exactly i have also got the same doubt how jira is going to pick for which project it has to create a ticket

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

Hi @chandra bhushan

Let me know why you are creating two different projects?

Is there a different data and process for each project.

@Yogesh Mude yeah its a different data and process for each project and concerned person is same.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2018

Hi @chandra bhushan

Why don't you create a single project and anyhow we can configure different workflow/process with different Issue type and the screen scheme as well.

Configure one email handler with different issue type as they have followed different process/workflow so whenever email triggers the mail handler will process the email and create the ticket into jira and delete that mail itself from the inbox.

Raymond Wong May 22, 2019

Please kindly advise how can I avoid other mails going to create tickets in JIRA, and only the email I put on to the mail handler will do the ticket creation?

As seen on the attachment, I just wanted the tickets will be created by the users under Logistic Team / Project, and sent mail to "operations-jira@prenetics.com"?

Can you or anyone advise me how to configure that steps by steps, I was get lost on JIRA.

Regards,

Raymond.Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 5.05.16 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2019

You would need to write a new mail handler to do this - it needs to look at the person who sent the email, look at their groups and do something different to what the standard email handlers do.

0 votes
Scott McDonald January 25, 2021

We're getting reports from users they've emailed a specific email address assigned to an email handler, but we don't see the ticket in JIRA/get an email for 15-20 minutes.

Is there a setting that I can adjust that looks at the handlers and generates issues or is this something embedded in code?

We have the batch notifications set at 2 minutes and the delay in the handler itself at 1.  

Is there anywhere else in the UI I can look ?

Thanks,
Scott

0 votes
Kalpana Iyer July 31, 2018

I am looking for simple steps on how to configure JIRA admin so that Gmail triggers such as specific Gmail Labels can automatically log a JIRA in ServiceDesk (Single issue-key SD only).

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2018
Kalpana Iyer August 1, 2018

Thanks. This is very helpful. It looks like I can only setup one email address. 

We have created a ServiceDesk portal from where the requests get logged into SD tickets based on the one email address setup. In addition to that, I would like to add individual gmail address (say mine) to route few (select only) emails to SD tickets. Can this be done? I see docs on setting multiple SD projects. But I'm looking for a many to 1 relationship not 1 gmail: to Many SD projects. thanks

Kalpana Iyer August 14, 2018

This is resolved. thanks

0 votes
chandra bhushan June 5, 2018

@Alexey Matveev hi can anyone please explain me about if user won't mention issue key in the subject line of mail then how Jira can pick up the content and raise a ticket?

since not evrerybody will be knowing about project key present inside jira how it can be done and our default handler is expecting the user to mention project key in a subject.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

If there is no issue key in the summary, Jira will create a new ticket.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

You have not got as far as trying to configure a handler yet.  If you had, you would have seen that the first field it demands is the project.

The handlers are simple - they look for an existing issue key in the subject, and if they don't find one, they create an issue in the project you set in the handler config.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I understand your point my concern is, suppose the user is replying to the mail and he is not aware of the existing key  in that case ideally it should have added as a comment in the same ticket, however since he is not aware of the existing ticket id it will be created as a new ticket.

is there any alternative to achieve like it should be added as comment even though if ticket id is not mentioned in the subject line ???

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

It is not possible out of the box. Theoretically you could write such a plugin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2018

If the user does not know the issue ID to put in the subject (which they will have automatically if they use "reply"), how do you know what issue to put it on?

If you want to try to do some form of matching and search, then you will need to write your own email handler.

Before you go down that route, you will need to clearly define how you expect to match the incoming email to the issue, and what happens if you get more than one result.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- how to enable notification sending to the sender that from his mail ticket got created in handler?

thanks in advance your responses are helpful.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- as part of the handler is it possible to configure for sending the acknowledgment to the user about the ticket creation is successfully completed. or in case some more information if admin required for the ticket he can send mail and by reading same mail user can respond it back.?

is this possible using handler?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2018

Set up the project notification scheme to send email back to the reporter when "issue created".

0 votes
chandra bhushan June 3, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Hi, for a user, what all permission he is required to have to automatically raise a ticket once he sends a mail to mail server?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2018

They need "create issue" in the target project.

0 votes

Hi ,

i wanted to add the attachment as part of ticket creation?which handler shall i use?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

All the default handlers will attach email attachments by default (some allow you to disable that)

chandra bhushan May 30, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- i tried sending mail using handler 

"Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue"  however the attachment is not attached in ticket which got created.

can you please tell what can be the reason ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

There are several reasons that can happen, you'll need to look at the configuration of the handler, and the log file to find out why it is happening here.

0 votes

Is it possible to configure one mail id for different project?

Suggest an answer