Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

convert jira ADF formatted description in HTML format

I am working on jira V3. When we get the jira issue from api we get the issue desciption in ADF format (I think) how to convert that format into HTML to show in our UI or there is any specific editor is given.

Thank You!

2 answers

0 votes
Dario B Atlassian Team Jul 16, 2021

Hello @faisalamdani ,

If I understand correctly you are calling the  /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey} REST API endpoint and you are looking for a way to get the issue description in HTML.

Now, if my understanding is correct (provide more details otherwise), then all you have to do is to append the argument to expand the rendered fields to your REST API call, like in below example:

https://NAME.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/{ISSUE-KEY_OR_ID}?expand=renderedFields

This way you will get the HTML for the text in the issue description.

For more details on expansion and for known issues, you may want to review the below links:

I hope this helps. 

Cheers,
Dario

Hello @faisalamdani 

As an alternative to @Dario B's method, read this recent post Is there documentation for api.atlassian.com/pf-editor-service/convert? that describes an undocumented Atlassian REST API endpoint that converts ADF to HTML, markdown and a few others, and vice-versa. It means double processing of the issue description, but it works.

Apart from that, there are a few other open source Java and C# libraries that apparently do a reasonable job of converting ADF to HTML, but I've not tried any of them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you