convert a issue status to pending

Richard Lu January 16, 2014

If I want to make a not closed issue to being a pending issue anytime , which function or where I can do this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

It depends on what you mean by changing it to "pending".

Issue status is an indicator of where an issue is in the workflow. So, to have "pending" as a status, you need to include it as a step in your workflow, so you'll need to edit your workflows to include it. Or, you might simply mean that a status that exists already should be called pending, in which case, you can just rename the status (but remember it will affect all workflows that use that status)

Ghosts Are Real December 17, 2014

Thanks Nic. What if I have an issue that is done or in progress but im waiting for the client or the project manager to provide me an answer or a piece of info and we do not want to mark the issue as 'Resolved' or 'Closed' task because later on we want to see lets say end of the week, what are the issues that we need to take some actions on because they are not really closed yet. In this case, editing the flow is not efficient enough "To Do" > "In Progress" >"Pending Approval" or "Need Clarity">"Done" Or I was thinking to allow users to edit the Resolution field and change it to whatever options I specify. So They can change the status of the issue to be "in progress" or "done" or even still "to do" and in the resolution I will have ' Waiting for client to provide more info' 'Waiting for the Project Manager to provide more guidance' 'Pending Approval' etc.. But I'm still trying to figure it out how to do this in Jira. If you have another way, please let me know Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

I'd add it to the workflow. Using resolutions is not useful - if *any* resolution is set, then the issue is finished with, resolved, ended, done. If you're waiting for some form of feedback from a client or PM and you don't want to mark it as "resolved", then you cannot use the resolution field. Because putting it in there means it is resolved. As an example of just how bad a design you have there is: think of an issue that you put into "in progress" with a resolution of "waiting for client". It will show up in Jira as In Progress, Waiting for Client AND resolved. All contradictory, but perfectly valid. That is simply not going to work for your users. Worse, you're going to end up with hundreds of filters trying to sort out and explain that mess, most of which probably won't do it at all. Editing the workflow is *by far* the most efficient way to handle this - you will have a workflow that matches your business process, clear status for your users, and the ability do generate really simple and plain filters like "everything waiting for a client" (as opposed to "everything waiting for a client that is in-progress" and why are my users asking why it is resolved as well...) Please. Edit your workflow. Make it match the business process.

Suggest an answer