config.bat gets class not found error

Hi, I am running JIRA 5.1 from a standalone Windows install and I am having trouble getting config.bat to run.

My JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME environment variables are set to "C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin"

When I attempt to run config.bat, I get the following message:

"The system cannot find the path specified"

I have verified that Configurator.class is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\JIRA\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\com\atlassian\jira\configurator"

I have attempted running the app using "java -classpath ../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes;../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/*;../lib/* com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Configurator"

However, that returns the following error:

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>java -classpath ../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/cla
sses;../atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/*;../lib/* com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Co
nfigurator
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/jira/co
nfigurator/Configurator
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Con
figurator
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
Could not find the main class: com.atlassian.jira.configurator.Configurator. Program will exit.

Any ideas as to what might be going on here and a workaround/solution would be great.

3 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

I was unable to get config.bat working. Setting up a new testing environment, reinstalling Jira, and restoring from a backup of the original install seemed to allow config.bat to work. However several of the fields on the WebServer tab were missing (I only had access to the connector ports).

The short version of the story is that I gave up and performed all the configuration changes I needed to manually in the server.xml and web.xml files.

0 votes
Ivan Tse Atlassian Team Jun 25, 2013

I think you might have your JAVA_HOME set in the wrong spot. What's the output for "echo %JAVA_HOME%"? What about just "java -version"?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+Java#InstallingJava-Windows-basedcomputers

Based off of that article, the definition of JAVA_HOME is a few levels too deep.

Hi Ivan,

I am using the JRE that came bundled with JIRA 5.1.

-- Command Prompt output --

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>java -version
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin

C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin>

I have experimented with setting JAVA_HOME to be "C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA" and " C:\PROGRA~2\Atlassian\JIRA\jre" with the same results.

config.bat simply returns "The system cannot find the path specified"

Running the command contained in config.bat results in the same class not found error above.

Where is the answer to this?

Why is there still no response to this?
I have tried everything I can think of, and still get the same error  "The system cannot find the path specified"

I worked it you, I was using the JRE\BIN directory.. removed \BIN and it all started working.

SET JRE_HOME=C:\PROGRA~2\Java\JRE18~1.0_7

I am sure it would also work to the java directory installed with JIRA,  

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,812 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you