commented by and comment date in JQL

May i know the reason for not including commented by and comment date in JQL ? i mean is there any performance hit by it.

Reason for the question is i am tryin to develop a plugin which will get issue with given commentor and comment date range. i want to know whether its practically possible without any performance hit ?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Shamith, not sure if this helps, but the Scriptrunner plugin has added this functionality: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions#ScriptedJQLFunctions-commented(commentquery)

Hi Sana,

thanks for the plugin info. Surely helps. Again Many thanks.

This widget could not be displayed.

Most people don't care when a coment was made. It's useful sometimes to know when a comment you are looking at was made, and you care about what they've said, but searching by comment date is pretty much unused by almost all users, so no-one has bothered to code for it.

I don't think you'll have much problem with performance if you implement something to do this.

Thanks Nic. You are right, its not used by most of the users.

Hrm... I agree about "most", but not about "almost all". IMHO it's useful to search for users commented by a particular user in a date range, or issues commented by say a troublesome customer. So I bothered to code for it ;-)

To answer the original question, there's no performance hit if you use the comment index, both the comment author and creation date are indexed, so it's a quick query, the same order of time for searching an issue by creation date.

What does it mean that a feature that is not implemented/available is not used by all/mosts users?

I was trying to say that the reason Atlassian have not implemented it is that they do not think many of their users want to use searches like this. My experience leads me to go along with that. Jamie's users have been different from mine, and obviously had more use for it. So he added it. Much as I'd say my users never *told* me they wanted it, some of them probably could have found it useful.

Being able to search for issues with recent comments would be a very useful and powerful feature.    There's too much update noise to search by the updated field, since almost anything that touches the issue -- even touches that make no changes -- cause the updated field to be refreshed.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

578 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you