com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012

I created a test JIRA (5.0.2) environment and imported our production system (4.1.2) backup. I added the new server to the old Crowd server (2.0.7) as a new application, updated my setenv.sh to show the correct SSL keystores, added the osuser.xml file, and updated the licenses to work with the newer version of JIRA. I've also updated the seraph-config.xml to use SSO and added the crowd.properties file and updated it to reflect the information provided when the new server was added to Crowd as an application link. Everything seems to start up fine, but when I try to log in none of the logins that I see in the database are working. I tried to use JIRA's sign up option to see if I could create an account, but then I get the following error:

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException: The following URL does not specify a valid Crowd User Management REST service: https://servername.domain:8443/crowd/rest/usermanagement/1/user

This Crowd server is still working with my current production system, so I know it's setup correctly.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

I'm a little surprised that this was never answered. The problem is that the two versions for the applications are not compatible. JIRA 4.3 at the very least requires 2.1 or higher for Crowd. I'm sure there's another version requirements for 4.4. and 5.0, as well as the up and coming 5.1. I found this information out when I started reviewing the upgrade information for each of the different releases. Once I got the SSL keystores installed I attempted to run this again and the log files showed that there was a problem with the /REST/usermanagement. The REST interface wasn't introduced until 4.3. Therefore, trying to use 5.0.2 JIRA with an unsupported older release of Crowd would fail.

You can jump releases when upgrading, but it is REQUIRED that you at the very least read the major release upgrade notes/guides to understand what was changed/added. (i.e., 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0. 5.0.1, 5.0.2)

0 votes
William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2012

Note: Prior to importing the backup, I've modified the entity.xml file to reflect system changes (ie., file pathnames, jdbc connectors, Base URL, Database URL, etc...). This was done so that the system knew to use the local configurations instead of trying to reach back to the production system.

Suggest an answer